1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Problem using adapted lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by turbodieselvw, Jun 29, 2010.

1. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I have a Panny GF1 and the 14-140 lens and love it. I am, however, having a problem using my old Nikon Al lens with it. I have a Nikon adapter which I bought from eBay and I'm able to focus and fool around with exposure but when I try pressing on the shutter button, I keep getting this message "Please check that lens is attached correctly."
    Has anyone experienced this? How do I go about using my old lens?
    Thanks a million.

2. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    In custom menu (page 5), you have turn "Shoot Without Lens" to ON.

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    That, and you can't use a legacy lens in iA or any other preset mode - you have to be in one of the P, A, S, or M modes.

4. turbodieselvw

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Fantastic! Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that when switching back to m4/3 lens the "shoot without lens" will have to be turned back to OFF?

I thought legacy lenses could only be used in A, S or M modes and not P. Anyways, I'll have to fool around with this now that I know what I'm supposed to do.

5. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    You can leave SHOOT W/O LENS on all the time. It has no effect on m4/3 lenses.

You can only use A or M with legacy lenses. The camera cannot set the aperture on the lens, which is necessary with S or P.

6. turbodieselvw

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    DUH! Ron, you're correct; only A or M with legacy lenses. Thanks once again!

7. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I shoot in P and S all the time with my legacy lenses on my GH1. Perhaps it's different on the GF-1. On the GH1 you need to make sure you enable SHOOT W/O LENS in each mode separately.

8. hoggdo c

hoggdo c Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA - SOCAL
    Wayne
    Different Cameras

With my Olympus OM-D there is no setting to shoot without a lens, it just does. No only that but it will shoot in every mode, you just have to remember to focus and set the aperture manually.

It is turning out to be a very versatile camera with great images. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.