1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Problem strange sound

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mlopes, Aug 8, 2015.

1. mlopes

mlopes Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2015
    Portugal
    good morning all! :)
    i'm new here and a m4/3 newbie so...please be gentle ;)
    got my Oly E-M5 MK2 yesterday, fully charged the battery, took a few shots and every thing was ok. connected it to my computer, used the Digital Camera Updater to check firmware and update it from 1.1 to 1.2.
    even before running the Update i noticed that a "noise" sound was coming from my camera. thought it was ok, maybe an usb contamination. updated. now the camera maker the same noise every time i switch it on....
    help!!!

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Sounds like the IBIS. You can turn it off in the menus or SCP and then see if the noise goes away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Good advice above - with perhaps a bit too much jargon for a "newbie." ;)

OP, you didn't describe the "noise." Is it a slight grinding or rattling sound? If so, you might be hearing the image stabilization mechanism moving the sensor a bit. The suggestion above was to turn it off temporarily, either in the menu or via the Super Control Panel. If the sound goes away with the IS turned off, then you have your culprit. In that case, it is normal.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    They are fundamental aspects of using and controlling the camera, in the manual and don't qualify as jargon.

5. mlopes

mlopes Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2015
    Portugal
    good evening!
    thank you all. no problem about the jargon, i understand it easily. newbie to m4/3 but not to photography.
    the sound was (it´s gone now but don´t know how...) like static on a tv but not as continuos and sometimes it stopped, sometimes it came back again. maybe something between static and rattling.
    it seemed to come from the camera speaker (is it?) because when i putted my thumb it was almost not audible....
    tried to to turn ibis off but changed nothing.