Problem; Pen F w/Oly 40-150 f/4-5.6 focusing on the moon / UPDATE

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Previously I had listed an issue of getting an image of the moon using an Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6R lens on a Pen F. I was blaming the poor optical qualities of this lens for the poor image quality as seen in the first image. I then tried it using the same lens on a Panasonic G9. The result can be seen in the second image. I guess I was wrong about this lens. Obviously the image quality is poor due to the enlargement of the file, but you can see a definite improvement in the image from the Pen F to the G9.

Attachments

• P4260344_200 crop_.jpg
    P4260344_200 crop_.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210917-20210917-_1000563_B.jpg
    20210917-20210917-_1000563_B.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I doubt it is anything to do with the different cameras. You would need to do the tests at the same time, with the moon in the same place in the sky and the weather the same. It looks to me as if there was cloud or mist the first time, or fog on the lens, or a filter.

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
I doubt it is anything to do with the different cameras. You would need to do the tests at the same time, with the moon in the same place in the sky and the weather the same. It looks to me as if there was cloud or mist the first time, or fog on the lens, or a filter.
That is a possibility, however, the image done with the Pen F is pretty much the same result no matter how many times I tried shooting the moon over the course of the 3 yrs that I owned it. Sometimes I attributed it to moisture in the air, possible high, thin clouds, etc... yet this first attempt with the G9 worked. Go figure. As a side note, each time I did this, I made sure to remove the clear, protective filter which for those out there that cringe at the thought of a do nothing filter in front of the lens, is a B+W, 007 neutral MRC. Not exactly the glass found at the bottom of a Coke bottle, piece of glass. Arguably, better than the glass used in this $99 lens used to make this image.
I've never had much luck in manually focusing on the moon with such a small image in the viewfinder, even with focus peaking used & the AF really struggled as well. The image from the G9 was also done with AF & focus peaking. Apparently the difference is in the ability of the cameras AF ability, even tho the moon was exposed at ISO 200, f/5.6 @ 1/500 sec. That is more than enough light for AF to work. Tripod used was a Gitzo GT 2531 CF

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
The moon is a difficult subject - outdoors, dark, atmospheric conditions all variables.

Whenever I suspect a particular camera or lens is not working up to snuff in the field, first thing I'll do is take it back to my sweep table and strobes for a quick test. That way, I eliminate any lighting or exposure variables and can concentrate on the issue itself.

I realize this is all quite different - esp. close focus vs. near infinity focus - but issues in one area often manifest in another. If you're having low contrast or exposure issues with the moon, chances are they occur elsewhere as well, not just that one subject.

I'm not assuming you have a sweep table and strobes, but you can probably improvise something with stable and controlled lighting. Do some controlled tests of static subjects at different f/stops, distances, lighting, etc., and see what patterns emerge.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom