Problem: OMD wont turn on after grip is removed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, Nov 23, 2012.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    I've been using my OMD EM5 with the grip attached for months. Only inserting the battery in the grip. Today I removed the grip, put the battery in the body and it won't turn on. I put the grip back on with a battery in both grip and body & it turns on.

I checked the custom menu K utility, battery priority which is set to PBH battery. If I try and change it to body battery it defaults back to PBH battery ????

The batteries are both fully charged but I am still unable to turn the camera on without the grip attached.
    Help please, what's going on. Any advice appreciated

Note: body firmware is 1.5
    Batteries official Olympus BLN-1

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    If you put a battery in the camera, put the grip on W/O a battery, will the camera power up?

Regards,

Jim

3. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    No, just tried it. Swapped lenses too just in case.

4. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Rats. :mad:

Maybe send Olympus service an email or give 'em a call?

Customer Service & Repair Center

Something simple they might know the answer to over the phone.

I haven't been able to find anything on this problem on the web...

Regards,

Jim

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Have you upgraded the software? Maybe the upgrade can/will reset everything ... (Just another wild shot ... are the contacts clean?)

6. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    If you live in a high humidity area, it might, and hopefully, be just a problem of oxidation. Put some rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and clean the metal battery contacts in the battery bay. If it doesn't help after a couple tries, use a long metal brush or rough object and brush it very lightly on the contacts to scrape the surface.

7. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    A pink pencil eraser is all you need to clean gold contacts that have oxidation. I would avoid a metal brush.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Put the grip back on and do a reset, you may have a conflict with a "MySet"

9. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    I updated the software the day it was released so no I've not done anything recently.

Tried the reset (putting the grip back on first) but no, nothing

Contacts are clean.

10. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Sent it back to Olympus whilst its still under warranty. I've only had it since May 2012

11. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    argh. hope you get it back soon. please update if Olympus tells you what went wrong. thanks.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The OM-D is a great camera, but in all honesty I've read of more failures and problems, from little things like paint finish and the eye-cup falling off to cracked glass on the sensor assembly, than on any camera in recent memory. Yes, as a percentage of cameras sold the number is still very low, but it should be near zero with modern manufacturing techniques.

Very disappointing.

13. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Impossible to get "near zero" without paying an incredible amount of money because you'd be paying for painstaking QA and/or higher tolerances in everything, which is expensive.

You've read a lot about the OMD because it's a wildly popular m43 camera, which is refreshing ;)

Also, forums are almost self-serving in that one is more likely to mention a problem on a forum than to randomly post "my camera works great, nothing to report."

I believe typical "electronics" failures hover around 5% or so, which could easily explain some faults we're seeing.

Not that I'm a fan-boy, faults suck, but it happens.

As for the eyecup - it doesn't fall off by itself via magic - it takes some force, even if it's not a lot :( (lost mine, no idea where)

14. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Been quoted 4-6 weeks for repair. WTF. ?

15. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yeow!

Maybe they are hedging their bets, giving a larger window for repair time than it will really take? Unless the repair center is on the east coast and things are bollixed up due to the recent storms...

4-6 weeks seems excessive.

Regards,

Jim

16. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Dang that stinks!

I had an issue where it would not turn on if i had a battery IN the bottom grip. Turns out one of the pins in the bottom grip had slightly bent and was stuck in. Using small pliars i coaxed it out and straightened it. no issues since.

Good luck, i hope thye get it resolved for you!

17. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    It's back. No info regards to what the fault was or how it was fixed however the camera has been factory reset so I'm guessing it's software related. Mystery.