problem focusing and taking a picture

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by skop, May 31, 2013.

1. skop

skop New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
    I just signed up to this forum so I am not sure I am in the right category as I post this problem. My EPL1 is a few years old. My camera can't seem to focus on any setting.There is a buzzing sound and the words "please check the staus of the lens." My lens seems to secure on my camera. Can anyone help?

2. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    My E-PL1 does that occasionally when I have the circular polarizing filter on. Do you have a filter on?

3. skop

skop New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
    Thanks!

I took the filter off and then put it on again and now everything works like a charm. I am so grateful!

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Who knew??

Wow. Just like that and you have your answer. Amazing. :smile:

5. skop

skop New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
    Thankfully --- a few things in life are easy!

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It sounds like you're using the original 14-42mm retractable kit lens that came with the E-PL1? That lens has a weak, loose barrel, as with the metal-mounted version that came with the E-P1 and E-P2. These lenses also have external focus which relies on movement of the barrel, not internal movement of the elements. If you put a heavy filter on those lenses, they may fail to operate correctly. That retractable lens also communicates to the body when its barrel is not fully operable due to the retracted position it has.

7. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    Interesting little tip on this camera/ lens combo. Thanks for posting.