1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problem exposure mode E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Setb, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Setb

Setb Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    When select mode in auto after à while is jumps to art,m,p,auto,s
    What could this be ?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Broken mode dial?

3. Setb

Setb Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    i don know the dail is okay maybe on the insight....

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Mine would jump out of A mode into P, any time the dial was touched or pressed, it didn't have to be turned. It also often happened when the camera was powered up. When this happened, it wasn't just switching modes. The camera would also jump out of the SCP screen, any Menu screen, or magnify mode.

Made it hard to change settings when taking pics, or use manual lenses. Twirling the mode dial often calmed it down for a while. I tried squirting lens cleaner and contact cleaner on the dial, but being weather sealed, nothing got in there.

I was able to use the camera, but on my recent trip, I probably would waste 5 minutes fiddling around every time I took out the EM5 to shoot some pix. I got tired of it and sent my EM5 for repair this week. We'll see if they fix it, or send it back the same way. Asked for a new rubber eye cup too, and it has the cracked LCD bezel.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My EM5 came back today. The mode dial feels stable. It used to act up if I lightly touched it, so this is good.

The camera looks new. I believe they replaced the dial covers, as they look pretty clean. The metal top and bottom covers were replaced. My old bottom had a deep gouge from a tripod, and the old top was scratched. LCD bezel is replaced and they put on a new eyecup as requested, no extra charge.

There's a piece of blue tape over the EM5 logo on the top cover. It also covers the red focus assist LED. I don't recall seeing that. It comes off?

$165 flat rate repair. Like I said, when the mode dial went nuts, I couldn't work with the menu, SCP, or any other screen without being kicked out.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Setb

Setb Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Thanks wil send my em5 to Olympus for repair :thumbup:

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Thanks for this. I'll be sending mine off soon for the same issue. Still using it but wasting increasingly more time, and I have a trip coming up -- on which I'll probably take the X-Pro 1, since it is a brand new camera.