1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PROBLEM: E-M10 II stays home. GM1 everyday

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DennisH, Jun 4, 2016.

1. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Anyone have the problem I do?

I got the m10 II first with the kit lens and a 14-150mm lens then acquired a month later a used GM1 with also a kit lens and 35-100mm. Now I never use my M10 II anymore. It just sits on the shelf collecting dust while I always take the GM1 with mostly just the 35-100mm on it as my everyday.

Kinda guilty I bought the m10 II now and never use it.

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    I hate when all the research & planning that I do for this hobby gets sideswiped by something fun.. o_O
    The :mu43: gear will be just fine while I play with the K-01 and a Kiron 28mm f/2 that I picked up this week. Just fine! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It's what can happen when you have two different styles (levels?) of bodies. While the GM1 is a capable body and the E-M10 mkII can be simple to use their nature leads to different uses when you have both.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Nothing wrong with that, it's a bit similar to owing the Oly 17 f1.8 and the Pany 20mm. Nice to have choices.

• Like Like x 2
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Put the 35-100 on the EM10ii. I keep that lens on my EM5ii all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I did that a lot when the choice was EM10 v1 or GM5. The latter was the one I really loved using. Now the EM10 is sold and a new GX85 is in the house... and the GX85 is the only one that gets used. Panasonic really polishes their user experience, and it gets better each year it would seem!

• Like Like x 1
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Clearly you don't need the tilting LCD, EVF, multiple dials and buttons, proper mechanical shutter, external flash support, longer battery life, better fit for bigger lenses, IBIS, live composite mode...

I'm the opposite, I barely ever use the GM5 in place of my E-M1. The GM5 only comes out when even the E-M1 is a bit socially awkward (the GM5 looks like a P&S).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    It's honeymoon period. I bought my E-M10 before E-PL7. Right after I bought E-PL7, the E-M10 stayed on the shelf for weeks. When I dusted off the EM10, I rediscovered how well it handles compared to E-PL7. E-M10 definitely gives me more confidence. Now I carry E-PL7 when I am not out for a dedicated photo walk.

Another thing is that I don't like how the PL25 and 40-150R look on the E-PL7. These two lenses are always only used on the E-M10.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 app

9. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Nope. Ever since I used my first digital P&S without a viewfinder in the sun, I knew my primary camera would always have a viewfinder.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    It happen with me but with different situation. Since having 75mm F1.8, my 25mm F1.4 stays on dry cabinet :biggrin:. Even using 75mm for street photography. Love the image result from that lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I have the same problem. Since I got an LX100 the bag of M43 stuff gets left at home.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Do you think it is more to do with the camera or the lenses? Maybe the 14-150 doesn't really suit you and that has put you off the Olympus kit. Have you tried putting one of the Panasonic zooms on the Olympus? I have never had a Panasonic body but I find those two little Panasonic kit zooms suit me perfectly on my EM10.

13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Dennis, sounds as if your problem is the guilty feeling. If you're catholic, go to confession. I'd be really interested to hear what penance the priest gives you . If not, go to a shrink. Again, I would like to hear their advice. Me, I use the GX7 and my GM5 about equally. No regrets, no guilt.

14. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    My wife needs to see a shrink. She buys a pair of shoes every month.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 app

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Well I decided to go out today with only the m10 II in hand since I had that guilty feeling. Took a few good shot. I believe this is with the 12-35mm Pany Kit Lens with a CPL filter attached. ImageUploadedByMu-431465184875.751150.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  16. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I can relate.
    I've decided to buy a second EM-1, cause I always end up switching lenses on EM-1 instead of using 10.

Hoping to get rid of the 10, to a fast pen in the future (faster then 4000 of a second).

17. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Good point you make. Cameras are so cheap and good nowadays that you can almost purchase one per lens you use often. I'm thinking about adding an E-M1, financing it with the sale of my E-M5. But then I thought why sell it for pennies. I might as well slap the O45 on it and leave it there ready for use.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I think I might just purchase a GM5 and see how that goes, I might be on the verge of just being attracted to the tiny form factor. If so I'll just keep the GM1 and the GM5 and sell the m10 II.

Anyone know how well the GM5 viewfinder is? I was looking at be new Panasonic ZS100 and hated the viewfinder , looked like it was in a square room looking out a window.

Dennis

19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Personally I really don't see a reason to own a GM1 and GM5. They're so close to the same experience, and more importantly they both have the same limitations, like balance with certain lenses, limited manual shutter speed, no manual shutter with adapted lenses... things that you might seldom need but if you decide to expand your skills a little then you might find yourself hitting a wall. I sold my GM1 for my GM5, and I think that was the right thing to do (even though I miss my little orange GM1!).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That is interesting.
    A single day with your preferred combination would drive me mad ;)
    Let me explain ;
    LCD screen only - I usually use a viewfinder.
    No short angle - 35mm would leave me wanting to change to a wide, or at least have the 20mm or 15mm in my pocket.
    No long angle - 100m feels a bit short compared to 150, maybe I'd want to put my own 40-150mm on instead.
    No jpeg mode bracketting : I like that feature the most on current Olympus bodies.

• Like Like x 1