problem between GF1, LR3 and Sandisk cards

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Chuck Pike, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I have a problem that just showed up when I started using a brand new Sandisk card. When I download my card using a card reader, using LR3 and a SanDisk Extreme HD Video 8 GB card I have a problem. I didn’t realize that I was getting a video card; the package said that it could be used in all sorts of items, including a digital camera. I download my cards directly into LR3 where I have the raw file converted into a DNG file during the download. With the first download from the new card, I had a lot of problems getting my files into LR. I though maybe I was doing something wrong, but following the procedures given by Scott Kelby, I downloaded a second card. Same problem. What is happening is I am getting this message after the download.

Important Results:

Some important operations were not performed.

The following files were imported but could not be renamed.

Then out of over 150 files 12 were listed as not renamed, and they are listed in LR3 as offline or missing. I can not reattach these files to my catalog.

I can go into the software that came with my GF1 and download these same files as tiffs and they can be worked on in LR3 with out a problem.

The card doesn’t seem to work with LR3 correctly. My older 8 GB cards still work, so the problem seems to be the new Sandisk cards.

I have sent a message to Sandisk, and will do the same to Photoshop.

photosbypike

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Try copying the files from the card to a folder on the desktop.
    Then convert to DNG with the stand alone converter.
    Then import the new DNG files.
    That should work.

3. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    question StreetShooter.

Forgive me the question, I am coming from Nikon NX2, but where is the stand alone converter? By the way I went back to original files and imported them into LR as the RAW file and they came into light room ok. So it might be in the converter inside light room that is the problem. Now that I have the raw files in LR how would I convert them inside of LR?

4. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    StreetShooter,
    I found that I can down load using the software that came with the GF1 and convert the down load to tiff and they open ok in LR3. I went out today with the same camera and the original 4gb card that I purchased at the time I bought the GF1 and no problem down loading in LR3 as dng. So either LR3 or the SanDisk card are the problem. While I send out my work to magazines as tiff files, I like to keep them as dng before I send them out to save hard drive space. I have sent a copy of my original post to SanDisk, PhotoShop and B&H.
    photosbypike