Pro primes vs XT3 and F2 Prime kit?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Nick779, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Nick779

Nick779 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Im just curious if anyone has run into this thought before.

I was eyeballing the pro primes for lower light shooting and got to thinking about other systems because of the cost with a DoF that is similar.

Have any of you considered adding a Fuji as a second body with their reasonably prices F2 primes? It just seems like a versatile option besides the loss of stabilization.

2. For that purpose why not stabilised FF mirrorless with f/1.8 primes?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Nick779

Jun 14, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    To be totally honest with you im heading that direction.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yep - the Z6 plus 35/1.8 or 50/1.8 would make an excellent kit. Small, stabilised, excellent sensor (apart from a bit of banding when pushed hard). Add in the 14-30 and 24-70 kit zooms and you've got a very nice three lens combo. If I didn't already have an extensive m43 package, that's the way I'd go since I don't use long lenses much at all. It would be different if I was into sports, wildlife etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nick779

Jun 14, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Heh, thats actually the kit on my wishlist. Z6 + 24-70F4, 35F1.8, and either a 50 or a 85F1.8

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Go for it then :). The Z6 has a very nice feel to it. Definitely nicer than the Sony A7 series. Only downsides from my evaluation are:

- No over/under exposure indicators in live view (blinkies). You get them on image review, but not before exposure.
    - Uses fancy and expensive memory cards.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I see about $1100 reasons to consider the Fuji:

ItPv9SH.
    fKdEOYF.

8. Nick779

Jun 14, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good to know. Ill probably rent it for a few days just to make sure its what im looking for, but from the reviews ive watched and the lens lineups ive seen it seems like a good option.

I do shoot sports and wildlife, but I cant really afford the FF glass I would want/need to be as effective as I am with my EM1.2 + 40-150 Pro + TCs. Im just looking for a more complementary kit that would give an edge to dynamic range, shadow/highlight recovery, and low light/landscape shooting.

I cant argue with the cost, however $1100 buys you stabilization, more DoF if you need it, easier RAWs to process, and a much more extensive lens lineup.

9. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I understand the feeling when comparing the Olympus Pro primes, as well:
    JbmY8zz.

10. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I wouldn't dismiss the fuji. The low light ability of the xtrans sensor rivals FF in achieving clean high iso shots. As far as raw processing, the xtrans files are just as simple to process now as any other.

11. Nick779

Jun 14, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Maybe im out of the loop, but I thought there wasnt wide support for their RAWs? I agree with the low light stuff though, I was playing around with it on DPR and its very clean for APS-C.

I have Zero experience with non stabilized cameras/lenses though so that might be more frustration than its worth.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Xtrans RAW is widely supported, just some tools are better than others at how well they handle the demosaicing. Lightroom does well with everything except micro contrast and sharpening. Capture One seems to have the sharpening and micro contrast adjustments under control.

13. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Keeping the E-M1ii plus 40-150+TC would make sense as your sports & wildlife camera then, but using the FF camera for low light and landscape etc. Having said that, I think the E-M1ii can do a reasonable job of landscape. Remember too that building a complete FF system will get expensive, big and heavy once you get away from a few primes and standard f4 zooms. You might find this post I did a while ago helpful too:

My latest foray into FF mirrorless - and why I'm sticking with m43

14. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Actually, I think this thread needs to take a step back.

OP, what lenses in mft do you currently own? Might it be possible to upgrade your current kit to help in lower light without reaching all the way to the Pro Primes? (I'm thinking the Sigma 1.4 trio, or even some 1.8 primes.)

Now, if you are just wanting to buy into another system, that's fine. But if you are trying to solve an issue, there may be more options available to you in mft.

15. Nick779

Jun 14, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ill definitely give that thread a read.

I currently have the 12-40/40-150 Pro + TC. Ive been looking at the cheaper mFT primes like the Sigma 1.4s and the Oly 1.8s, mainly 16/17mm and perhaps 45 or 75mm.

I initially was going to start building up my primes in mFT but my continued paranoia of the system/mount's future made me hesitant to invest in more mFT glass and pushed me towards something I think wont ever go away. I also partly just want to try FF, which a rental might be a better option.
    My current plan was to complement my EM1 with FF mirrorless and stick strictly to an F4 normal zoom and a prime or two. I thought about long lenses, but the Nikkor 200-500F5.6 I was looking at and can afford is some ~5.6Lb.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  16. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If you want to try out FF, then go for it. Learning and playing with new things can be exciting and inspiring.

That said, if you just want to solve lower light, I would suggest trying out an Oly 17 1.8 or Panny 15 1.7. You might be surprised. You will also save bundles of money and weight.

Even if mft isn't manufactured anymore (FSM forbid), our current cameras and lenses don't stop taking pictures.

17. Nick779

Jun 14, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    True, theres also the used market as well. Come to think of it after looking at the lens roadmap, I doubt anything is getting killed off with all of those plans.
    I still might go for the Olympus primes as a cheap solution. It just really sucks that the 17mm Olympus lenses click when in C-AF, I really wanted to use them for video. Perhaps the Sigma is worth a shot in that case, its just bigger.

18. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    As stated in your other thread: The Panasonic 15 1.7 would be your best option to try first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pluttis

Pluttis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 14, 2016
    Sweden
    Peter
    Oly f1.2 pro primes might be more expensive(and bigger) but they have much nice bokeh than the Fuji f2.0 primes.
    The Sigma primes are also really good.

20. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Well Fuji is NOT your solution for silent AF in video! Also consider the lack of stabilization.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.