Pro Pen or no???

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, May 10, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    ePHOTOzine clarified Olympus roadmap talk (from a post) by asking Mark Thakara of Olympus UK what’s going on. He confirmed the E-xxx series will be replaced by the Pens and that E-x and E-xx will continue. Does this then water down the rumours of a “Pen Pro”? It kind of does for me.

Then again I was talking to the owner of one of the largest Pro Camera stores in Australia and he said that he thought the Pen Pro was coming later this year. I don’t know if he has any information or the same here-say as the rest of us. He also said that while Olympus m4/3 started strong that it had stalled badly and Panasonic was by far the stronger m4/3 brand. No surprises there. He felt that unless Olympus get a real Pro Pen out by the end of the year that they will be in big trouble. I tend to agree. m4/3 and not big 4/3 is the buzz. I think it’s time Olympus stopped flogging a dead horse with 4/3 and do what the consumer is shouting for loud and clear. Unless of course they have something brilliant in the works.

If Olympus do decide to keep the ‘Pro” line in big 4/3, do you think they are committing commercial suicide? Or would do the existing cameras just need more “pro” lenses.

source:Olympus Official Response to DSLR and PEN Rumours

• Like Like x 2
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Olympus has been quoted asking the question "if we made a camera the same size as a DSLR, but didn't have a mirror box, what would you do with the space?"

My guess is the Pen Pro has SLR form factor, weather sealed, giant battery life, possibly wifi, etc
  3. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    I think that Olympus will definitely bring out a DSLR sized body with those options you mentioned. Battery grip-longevity power without the grip would be cool, as would multiple sd slots with the option of either huge photo capacity or simultaneousness backup to another card. PDAF and CDAF support. etc, etc,

But... I don't think such a camera will bear the PEN name. Whatever the new PEN is, it will have a form factor smaller than a DSLR. Otherwise it would just going against what the PEN name stands for.
  4. hendrik78m

hendrik78m Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2011
    They need built in vertical grips and good dust / water seal for sure. Built in electronic viewfinder like GH series is also needed. More importantly, olympus need pro lenses in range of 12-35mm for fix aperture around f/2.5-2.8 for professional user or several prime lenses that have f/1.4 or faster (for 17mm, 25mm, 45mm)
  5. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    They need to keep something in regular 4/3 mount for the legions of loyal supporters who have a large stable of quality glass and nothing (except the E-5) new to stick it on. To abandon this mount completely would make them lose face not only for regular 4/3 but also for the Olympus m4/3 users, many of whom have feet in both camps. They need a couple of 4/3 bodies, but brought bang up to date.
  6. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    At least they cannot afford to do that a second time after abandoning the OM system. They at least need something one can mount the lenses for 4/3 on without loosing features like AF speed.
  7. ZDP-189

ZDP-189 New to Mu-43

May 2, 2011
    Hong Kong
    It's hard to say what pros would want from m4/3. It's easier to guess what they won't want: start with a small sensor E#, optically compromise it with a very short register add a bigger battery and double card slots and sell it for the price of a 1D or D3. Another version they won't want is a Pen EP tarted up with machined titanium sold for the price of a Leica, even a Leica CM or X1.

Here's what I would buy: a digital Pen FT with a sharp 14mm (28mm equiv) pancake lens. Same shape and layout as the F but the speed dial becomes th mode dial and the speed goes on a reliable thumb jog dial. The back is dominated by a honking great display.
  8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I'd be thrilled with something like a Panasonic G1/2 with IBIS. It wouldn't have to be "pro" level build. Add some HQ level glass...
  9. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    +1 on this one. The only thing really missing in the GH2 is IBIS; with that included I could use longer legacy lenses even more effectively.
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Perhaps, IMHO, with all these rumors being translated from Japanese, it could be that "PEN" = "mirrorless" and it will have an E designation.
  11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    My own opinion here.

Panasonic isn't sticking around for 4/3, why should Olympus? I don't see financially that they can keep both and improve at a meaningful pace. I personally feel that 4/3 at this point should be left to pro bodies. The E-xxx cameras should be replaced with m43 at some point. I think in some ways, they have. I thought about an E-420 once, but it was still too big and the Live View wasn't there yet, IMHO.

Olympus is in a hard spot. Not only financially, but with legacy users and new users. I personally would be on the opposite side of the fence. I'd be disappointed and would move elsewhere if the m43 pace was slowed down by 4/3.
  12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    For me the first thing they have to do, before they can give anything a "pro" designation is come up with a better sensor. Either one with more MP's or better high ISO performance or the best idea, both.

Its not as if such a thing doesn't exist, its already in the GH2.

Olympus make beautiful, well specified, nice to handle cameras, and have a very decent range of m4/3 lenses and a superb range of 4/3 lenses. To me their achilles heel has always been the sensor. I realise this is something they don't make and they have to get it from somewhere else. i.e. Panasonic usually.

I endlessly go on about it but Olympus outside and Panasonic inside strikes me as a wonderful combination for a camera. Just make the excellent VF-2 viewfinder an integral part of the camera instead of a bolt-on and put the GH2 sensor into an E-P1/2 body. Then you have a great camera. Weather-sealing? Well theres not much point unless you make weather sealed lenses too.

I'd love to see them find a home for the 4/3 lens range but it seems pretty obvious the camera range is never going to sell that well. Not with the sensors they use and the price they charge. I'm not sure who exactly is going to pay extra cash for an E-5 in preference to a Nikon 7000 or Canon 60D, weather-sealing or not. I'm not sure how many people want to take pictures in a waterfall, but I don't think its that many.

I use Olympus because I genuinely like what they come up with and I do this knowing that in terms of sensor performance I can probably get better elsewhere. I can cope with the slightly reduced quality (and it is slight) because I use low ISO's anyway.

I find Olympus frustrating, I want so much for them to produce something really good. I felt the same way about Pentax, but even they finally delivered with the K-5. Where the Olympus K-5 is coming from I don't know, but it would be nice to think they will surprise all all.
  13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I wonder what is Oly's hesitation in making a more "pro" level Pen? If Oly makes a Pen with built-in EVF with a GH2 (comparable) sensor, I bet it would sell like hotcakes. No one is saying that Oly should give up on the E-x or E-xx. But a high end Pen would certainly fit nicely next to an E-x.
  14. MP Burke

MP Burke Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2010
    Pen pro probably not.

When I bought a Panasonic G2 last year, the main reason for not looking at Olympus was a lack of a built in EVF.
    A compact camera with a good integrated EVF, sensor based anti-shake and the best sensor Olympus can get their hands on, would be the type of thing that made me look at Olympus for my next camera.
    However, the impression I have formed is that Olympus think of the :43: series as entry level cameras and that so-called "pros" will want the slr 4/3 cameras. There seems to be a small but vociferous group lobbying Olympus to continue adding to the range of 4/3 slrs. Thus I suspect that Olympus may not want to launch a high end :43: camera as they see it competing with their own slrs.
    By contrast, Panasonic appear to be more focussed on the :43: format and hopefully will add more high quality primes to go with the 25mm f1.4.