Pro OMD images, video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mellow, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
  2. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Cool, shame about the grip, did not care for it but othervise it seems like a nice update.
  3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Nice, shame they never discussed image quality. I assume it must be the same sensor as the EM5
  4. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Looks very promising. My fast 4/3 lenses are looking better all the time. My E-M5 was stolen last year and I have been patiently waiting for this camera. I am hopeful it will fully replace my E-5 as well.
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Like I said in the other thread on this site:

Somehow I doubt that the photographic world isn't clamoring for an Olympic GH3. If it really sells for the rumored $1500 price, Canon will sell 1000 SL1 cameras for every one that Olympus sells.

Mainstream pros have never, and probably will never, buy 4/3 sensor cameras in significant numbers. Even for enthusiasts there is not enough IQ bang for your buck. I think only Fuji understands the upper end mirrorless market.
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Put bigger lenses on an E-M5 & then you need to hang onto something. This is a Pro model & without the built in grip it would not fulfill that purpose.

My guess is it will still be one battery in the body & one in the grip just like the E-M5 but maybe using a bigger battery like the BLM-5 battery.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Please no. Two incompatible types of batteries for Olympus m4/3 is bad enough - let's not add a third.

They already sell 200 SL1s for every 7D, so I fail to see why this would be a problem.

Enthusiasts seem happy enough with the 7D, 60D and D7000 image quality. Hard to see why they would find an E-M5-derived camera disappointing.
  8. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    I see your point, but I rather had the option to remove the grip.
  9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Do you really think pro's are buying those SL1's? The difference in sensor size between Canon's APS-C & μ43 is 1.25x. And its image quality is worse than the E-M5's according to DxO. The Canon 7D's IQ is worse than the E-M5, for that matter. Assuming this new camera has any improvement on the sensor, this give μ43 a camera that's as good or better than the enthusiast APS-C models while also providing fast-focusing glass that's competitive with Canon L glass.

The problem is no longer image quality...the problem is marketing.
  10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    It's apparently not really an update for the E-M5, but rather the beginning of a new, professional OM-D line. We'll have to wait to see what the real successor to the E-M5 looks like.
  11. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Is this the replacement of the E-M5?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
  12. cueball

cueball Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Looks more like an addition to the current lineup. It's pretty big to be an E-M1 replacement. Personally, I see two different cameras for two different audiences, but I'm not a marketing guy so it's entirely possible I'm way off base :biggrin:
  13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    No, that will be in 2014.
  14. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    A replacement for the 4/3rds E-5.
  15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    But E5 users (changing to E-M1) wouldn't need to buy more spare batteries. :wink: :biggrin: