Pro/Con - Mixing brands (body and lens)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GreinerStudio, Feb 16, 2017.

1. GreinerStudio

GreinerStudio Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2017
    What are all the disadvantages of mixing Panasonic Lenses on Olympus bodies and vice versa. To start:

• Panasonic has OIS and Oly has IBIS - in some instances IS is sacrificed.
    • Oly ProCapture feature not available for Panasonic Lenses
    • Oly IS sync not available for Panasonic Lenses

2. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Panasonic has IBIS and dual IS as well as OIS.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    From my understanding Panasonic DFD does not work with Olympus lenses...but I might be wrong on that one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I will list all the limitations that I know of for an Olympus OMD EM1 because it is the only camera to contain all the current Olympus features.
    1. Sync IS is only available with Olympus lenses and is currently limited to the 300 Pro and 12-100 Pro because they are the only Olympus lenses with OIS.
    2. Pro capture is only available with Olympus m4/3 lenses
    3. Focus bracketing is only available with m4/3 lenses
    4. Focus stacking is limited to the 40-150 Pro, 300 Pro, and 60 Macro (I could be wrong, there could be 1 or 2 more lenses)
    5. Weather sealing is under suspicion based on some things brought out in another thread

You are correct.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Please explain how you came to this conclusion, because my Oly 60 works perfectly fine on my G7.

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I think he was stating that Panasonic DFD does not work with the Oly 60. Otherwise the lens works fine, just no OIS.

7. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    If it's not using DFD, what is it using to auto focus?

8. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    There was a thread on this forum recently where someone posted pictures of different mount flange sizes that may influence how weather resistant seals work on different brand cameras. Cant find it now so not sure of the outcome.
    Someone else may be able to point to it.

9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It's autofocusing. DFD is not autofocus.

Edit: I should say DFD is a new optimized way of autofocusing on new cameras.

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    DFD is the technology that Panasonic uses for improved continuous autofocus and Olympus uses PDAF but only on the EM1. While a DFD body will do CAF with an Olympus lens it is just using the CDAF (which is not very good at CAF) because DFD requires special lens data that Panasonic only has for it's lenses. I am sure they could generate that lens data for Olympus lenses but they have chosen to only include it for their lenses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    That's kind of dumb. Is the data stored in the body or the lens? My assumption would be in lens!

12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    No idea, I don't shoot Panasonic. I am guessing since not all cameras have DFD it would be in the camera where the algorithms that use it are located.

13. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    See I was thinking in the lens so the body didn't have to maintain a database of lens information, it could just get it from the lens when powered on. As a developer that's how I would do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I think any lens specific DFD data is in the camera body, same goes for C/A - only recent bodies started correcting these things, and only across compatible lens/bodies. I think only geometric distortion and vignetting is universally corrected using standard data from the lens.

Then again, if it was really built into the body, surely we'd see body firmware updates for C/A and DFD data every time a series of new lenses comes out from Panasonic? Hmm, maybe the m4/3 standard has provision for extra proprietary data to be transmitted via the interface (a bit like the Panasonic aperture/Olympus function button control). As long as the body understands the format of the proprietary data, future lens releases should also be supported.

15. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Yea that's what I was thinking, as all the firmware updates would be a giant pain in the butt, when you consider all the development and testing that would need to be done for each update. Not to mention you could run into issues with being able to store all the data as the Panasonic lens range grows.

16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    If they store it on the lens that would explain why DFD doesn't work with Olympus lenses. There is no way Olympus would ever consider or be willing to put Panasonic code on their lenses and I can't blame them.

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    It starts with the post I quoted - Minor niggles with my E-M1 II (write speed and debris on the lens mount) — does yours do the same?

I am surprised this is the first time I have ever seen anyone mention this. I don't own anything Panasonic so would never have thought to check.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Dual system IS (IBIS + OIS) look to be restricted to each company. Right now, given the number of lenses with OIS for each system, we might see Panasonic (18 lenses) pull ahead of Olympus (2 lenses) in the stabilization games.

Panasonic limits: DFD, but allows everything else?
    Olympus limits: ProCapture, Focus Stacking (3 oly lenses) ?

It's kind of sad, I'd like to pick up a EM5ii/iii in the future to play with some of the features (mainly live composite/bulb and focus bracketing), but if the systems become more closed off, I may have to reconsider.

Am I missing anything else for Native lenses?

20. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    I suspect Panasonic might not be honest in regards to the lens data for dfd they talk about. I've done a fair bit of browsing in academic sources about dfd technologies (most of which I don't understand), and none but Panasonic mention using/creating lens profiles. Warranted the other applications are in robotic vision, but they all compare multiple images in real time to create the info they need on the fly.

In other words there seems to be no need for lens profiling, though it might speed or shortcut the required processing.

So I wonder:
    - If the data is real, where is it stored? If in lens, how much storage do lenses have in them? If in body, wouldn't a firmware update be required to enable dfd with new lenses on older dfd bodies?
    - Or Panasonic does the on-the-fly thing (pretty amazing) and chooses to not support Olympus lenses.

Neither seems like a great option but in-lens storage seems the easiest to deal with in the long run.