1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Prints with the EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Sep 19, 2013.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Folks, question here and I know it might be subjective and obviously depends on the image but what is the biggest print size you would happily do with a shot from the OMD?...

2. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    My product offerings stop at 40x30 inches. Prints look good, providing they are sharp and well crafted. I shoot with either my OMD or more rarely my 5DMkIII (set at Medium RAW which is think is 12MP).

I do my upsizing using Photoshop's Bicubic Smoother which to my eyes does a better job of the third-party resizing packages you can buy. Remember that larger prints are almost always viewed from further away than smaller ones.

You can do a test by resizing your print on the computer to the size you want it and then cropping out say an 8 inch portion and printing that, and then holding it away from yourself to the appropriate viewing distance.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks Lindsay, thats good to know as I've had a few prints recently from my D600 (& Sigma 35mm) which looks incredible at A2 size so I wanted to be sure I would be able to still do prints (if they're sharp enough!) at that size.

I'm seriously considering moving on the D600 and picking up an EM5 (or EM1....)

4. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Chris, it's going to be the quality of your lenses more than anything else which will make the biggest difference to the quality of the final product. Given how wonderful many of the Micro 4/3 lenses are, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about! In fact the Micro 4/3 lenses are quite addictive.

I have very large prints around my home and viewing area which were taken with cameras much older and more primitive than the OMD, and they looked terrific. Like I said, good technique, good glass, and careful resizing. I think you'll be fine.

5. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    I have a 16x20 print of this image
    Pen-1114-L. from my EP-1 and it looks fantastic (I let Adoramapix do the resizing). I'm sure my OMD can go bigger ;)

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    depends mostly on how picky you are, then how picky everyone else is who sees it, then viewing distance, lighting, paper, printer, etc.

For 99% people, go big.

7. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks Lindsay, I do love the M4/3 Primes and looking at an admittedly expensive lineup of 12, 17, 25 and 45 I think I would cover all my needs.

I've been using a Nikon 24 f2.8, Sigma 35 f1.4 & Nikon 85mm f1.8 all of which it would appear could be easily replaced on M4/3 (perhaps even for a lower cost!).

I love the IQ of the D600 but I find I'm not carrying it around as much as its quite bulky (rather than heavy) with just a prime (24/35) its not really that much hassle but it does take a lot of room.

I could have an EM5 and all 4 lenses and easily fit them in my day to day bag.

EM1 is very tempting, especially as I really need the grip on the EM5 and the 12-40 looks awesome but cost wise the EM5 is a steal just now.