Printing photos?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Luckypenguin, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm one of those people who stores and views images almost exclusively by electronic means. As a consequence it has been a very long time since I have actually had any printed. I'm just wondering if there is anything different that you might do to a image in terms of processing to get it printed? I seem to recall that images that had a lot of darker textures and looked great on a backlit computer monitor would print out as large expanses of dark, featureless colour. Do print shops automatically adjust the image brightness to compensate for this or do you need to process the image differently for printing?

2. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Hi Nic,

My RAWpictures from E30 and EP2 are processed in Apple Aperture. The screens are calibrated with eye1 calibrator.
    Then i upload the pictures and "mark" in the software from the printing company may not adjust the photo.
    This way you get the photo like you see it on screen.

Very important, when you don't have calibrator, is to put the screen not to bright, most screens are to bright so you get darker print.

One problem, not all printing company work like this. You need to look around to find one.

grtz from Belgium.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for your response. I guess screen calibration is my main concern. Sometimes when I look at pictures on my laptop screen they can look a little flat but if I open up the same image on my computer at work the colours are noticably more vivid. I'm not sure if one is any brighter than the other, though.
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to Don's urgings, I finally got some of my photographs printed by Mpix. I did calibrate my screen with Spyder 2 Pro, thanks to Don's lending it to me. My photographs came out beautifully - I was extremely impressed by the quality, color, tone, etc., and these photos were done with the diminutive Panasonic LX5.

For a thread that deals with people who print their photos themselves, check out:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    • Like Like x 1
  6. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I print mine on my Canon PIXMA 9000 MkII at 13x19, and they're good enough to display at photo competitions. You can still get those printers for about $200 online because so many people get them basically for free as part of the Canon promotions, so they sell them cheap. I'm very happy with my printer output. I use Apple 23" displays with my PC, and never had a need to calibrate the colors - they print just as I see them on the screen.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    In general, Apple displays in their stock configuration are very accurate. The brightness is where it can get you.

I have a spider calibration system that I've used on NEC monitors in the past. When I switched to the MacBookPro, I haven't yet calibrated, but I did take several pictures that I had manipulated on the calibrated screens and port them over to the Mac and to my surprise, they looked exactly as I had expected them to without any tweaking.

On another note, MPix was recommended for printing - I can't say enough positive stuff about them. Great company, great products, great customer service and great output. They get 100% of my photo printing business.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Personally I don't like the colors, when my screen is calibrated. I change to calibrated profile only when I'm editing something for printing.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for your responses. I don't know if I will be printing enough to justify getting my own printer. I do have what I realise is now a quite old Canon iP6600D which does up to A4 prints. Assuming the photo colour cartridges are still working I'll try doing a few test prints on it and see how I go.

Thanks again.
  10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Check out Costco

Monitor color calibration is must. I use the Spyder 3. I've owned my own printer and found it to be quite expensive. I'm using Costco. Their prices are hard to beat and the quality is excellent. I downloaded their printer profiles. Using the profile I can do proofing in CS5. When I deliver the photos I tell them not to do any auto adjustments. The end result is virtually identical to what I see on my monitor. An 11x14 cost $3.99 or 12 x 36 is $4.99 They can print up to 30x40

The cost and 1 hour service can't be beat doing it yourself.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    I love getting collage style photo frames, so generally they all take 4 x 6 prints. I get them printed at Walmart Photo Centre because I go through the prints so often (and it's so convenient).

I find with the Walmart printers, I have to brighten up the photo and over-saturate the colours a slight bit to get the equivalent photo look as to my (uncalibrated) monitors.

I'd say print out a few photos unedited from wherever you are going to print, and adjust accordingly then. I would assume each photo place is different.
    • Like Like x 1