1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Printing Nikkor 105mm F 2.8.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Austrokiwi, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2016
    This lens is regarded by some as one of the ultimate macro lenses. First produced in the 1970s It was still being produced recently under the Nikon Rayfact line of industrial lenses. This lens is a true apochromatic lens. I understand this lens was produced for use in high priced film scanning units and originally cost over US$10000.00. These days second hand prices range from US$1000.00 to US$3000. Those who want one usually spend a year or so hunting for an example in the lower part of that range. What attracts people to this lens is its lack of distortion and phenomenal resolution which is well over 200 lines per mm( its MTF curves are better than the Coastal optics 60mm APO macro lens). It was not designed for camera use and is a challenge to adapt. My adapter made by TJ Grimes is simply a tube with a 45mm female thread at one end and a 52mm female thread at the other. I then use a reversing ring to fit it to my bellows.

This lens was optimized for 1-1 magnification with its best performance at F 2.8. However it performs well from 0.6X through to 1.5 X. Obviously this lens used at its optimal settings has an extremely shallow depth of field and requires focus stacking to get the full benefit of its potential.

printing nikkor.

printing nikkor2.
    Here is a composite photo of a 14th century Hungarian florin made up of two 10 shot stacks ( Camera Olympus OMD-EM10II)

[​IMG]

and 100 % crop:

pn 100 crop.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

This and the 150 printing Nikkor and the Voigtlander APO lanthar 125mm are some I'd love to add to the collection :D

• Like Like x 1