Printing in Affinity Photo

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I have a question about printing an image in Affinity Photo.

If I have an image that I want to print to my inkjet printed (Epson 15000, but that doesn't matter for my question), in most image editors I know, I just use the File>Print option and it brings up a dialog.

I usually first have to tell it what printer I am using and the paper size (in the printer settings, usually, along with type of paper, quality to print at, etc ).

Then in the editing software's print dialog I specify the size I want to print at, where I want the image on the page (usually centered; or the margins if not to be centered). Corel PaintShop Pro and even Irfanview work this way.

So, for example, if I have a 20MP image from a m43 camera and crop it to 2916 x 2187, that gives me a nice ratio to fit on a letter-sized paper with .5" margins all around. I just tell the software to print it 10 x 7.5 in the center of the page and it gets done. If I cropped it more with the same ratio, I could still print it this size, of course, just still telling the software to print at 10 x 7.5. The software (or printer) decide dynamically what ppi to use on the print to give me what I requested. In other words, NO resampling resizing is required (or desired, IMHO).

But I am unable to figure out how to do this simple thing in Affinity Photo. If you look in the Help file, there's all this BS about PAGE size and canvas size, like it thinks that a photo editor deals in pages (like a Publishing program). And then there are scale settings, etc. To me, a PHOTO editor deals in images that are so many pixels wide and high, and that's about it.

This is just weird, and I cannot figure out how to just print the way I have been doing for about 25 years with any other software I have used. It's not like I don't know how to deal with pages (I use Affinity Publisher A LOT, and sometimes Affinity Designer), but I don't want to have to deal with pages since I don't see the relevance to an image. I know that vector image programs often use this type of thing, but even in PaintShop Pro, when I used text and even vector layers, it was still basically just an image, with not really any "page" or "canvas" thing to think about.

Anyone know an easy way in Affinity Photo to get a print?

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I'm going to answer my own question here, in case someone later has the same trouble i did. I found a YouTube video explaining how to do this. Basically, you have to "resize" the image in the editor before you print it.

You use menu Document>Resize Document. In the Dialog box you set it to inches (instead of pixels), and do NOT check the "resample" checkbox. If it's checked, uncheck it! You'll see that the "DPI" changes in the dialog to reflect the size you are requesting. Then you click Resize button.

Basically all that has done is ready the image for printing BEFORE you use the Print dialog. It has set the DPI at a value that will yield the size print you want, instead of just having you set the size you want in a print dialog and dynamically changing the dpi as it is being sent to the printer. Same thing, really, but more difficult in Affinity Photo.

Then when you print it, the print dialog will show you the margins on the paper that result from the settings you made in the resize. I'm not sure at this point how you would position the image on anything other than the center of the paper; perhaps in the pinter properties setting. As I mentioned in my first post, I usually don't do that anyway.

This strikes me as yet another example of Affinity Photo making things harder than they have to be. But it's still a really good editor, IMHO.

Edit: well, once again, as I was typing, someone else was too. This happens essentially EVERY time I type anything on this forum! ;) Thanks for the answer @cdecurtis . I'll take a look at those links. :)

Last edited:

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I'm going to answer my own question here, in case someone later has the same trouble i did. I found a YouTube video explaining how to do this. Basically, you have to "resize" the image in the editor before you print it.

You use menu Document>Resize Document. In the Dialog box you set it to inches (instead of pixels), and do NOT check the "resample" checkbox. If it's checked, uncheck it! You'dd see that the "DPI" changes in the dialog to reflect the size you are requesting. Then you click Resize button.

Basically all that has done is ready the image for printing BEFORE you use the Print dialog. It has set the DPI at a value that will yield the size print you want, instead of just having you set the size you want in a print dialog and dynamically changing the dpi as it is being sent to the printer. Same thing, really, but more difficult in Affinity Photo.

Then when you print it, the print dialog will show you the margins on the paper that result from the settings you made in the resize. I'm not sure at this point how you would position the image on anything other than the center of the paper; perhaps in the pinter properties setting. As I mentioned in my first post, I usually don't do that anyway.

This strikes me as yet another example of Affinity Photo making things harder than they have to be. But it's still a really good editor, IMHO.

Edit: well, once again, as I was typing, someone else was too. This happens essentially EVERY time I type anything on this forum! ;) Thanks for the answer @cdecurtis . I'll take a look at those links. :)
Thanks for sharing your experience with printing inside Affinity Photo.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran

You use menu Document>Resize Document. In the Dialog box you set it to inches (instead of pixels), and do NOT check the "resample" checkbox. If it's checked, uncheck it! You'dd see that the "DPI" changes in the dialog to reflect the size you are requesting. Then you click Resize button.

I've never printed from Affinity Photo, but your description makes ACDSee's print utility sound. . .adequate.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Affinity photo is hard.
When I watch the YouTube tutorials, I am like “What did he just say?”
And then I start thinking, “why am I so stupid?”
And then my brain hurts, I get a bad headache and then I’ve had enough of that...

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Most Serif products are weird ...
I agree to a certain extent, but I think that things like the printing difficulty are mostly from growing pains. All 3 of the Affinity products (Photo, Designer, and Publisher) are either completely new (Publisher) or coming from earlier Mac versions. In other words, they are not just upgrades of the old Serif PhotoPlus, DrawPlus, and PagePlus, at least as far as I know.

So, for example, the old Serif DrawPlus (vector drawing) had a nice tracing feature, to make it easier to convert a raster (pixel) image into a vector image. This is a hard task but the trace tool was helpful. But with Affinity Designer (a similar-looking vector drawing program), there is not yet any trace tool and users are screaming for it. So, it's not like they don't know about it and don't want to do it; they just are getting the programs more and more robust over time.

Similarly, Serif PagePlus (which was a DYNAMITE publisher, IMHO), had very powerful PDF facing-page capabilities, but Affinity Publisher is deficient in this area.

So, I think the same is probably true of the printing in Affinity Photo. It is just not done nicely yet, and will be in time. The only question is, um, how looooong...

I think that the Affinity programs are pretty innovative (e.g. the layering in Photo), so some of their growing pains are worth using work-arounds for, at least for now.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Most Serif products are weird ...
I think that came from the corporate culture, and the early user base. Old timers can remember the odd Serif user forums that was this odd mixture of peer to peer help and social club. The P2P was open to all, but it took time to become part of 'the group'.

Serif took pride in its "Not Adobe" claim, and, I think, tried to offer as complete a set of alternative products as it could afford. That pride led them to try and avoid doing things the 'Adobe' way, even if Adobe really offered the best solution for a specific problem. Serif wanted to try something else when it could.

Even though, the Affinity products are more mainstream in approach, I think we can see elements of this in Affinity Photo. Instead of using the 'mainstream' non-destructive approach to raw development, Affinity Photo uses what is essentially the earliest method of raw development with a nod to modernity, where the Develop Persona is really a tool to set color, tonality, distortion, and geometric issues, and then is sent to the Edit (bit mapped) Persona for achieving the photographer's artistic vision. There's no sidecar files, there is only the Affinity project file format as a project saving mechanism. Then you export the completed project to standard photo file formats for use & publication.

This is no longer how users feel most comfortable working. It IS possible to do very good work this way. But it requires a change in mind set, and it does allow for the very tight integration between Photo, Designer, and Publisher, which many people love. I do, and the independent publishing contractors I've dealt with are very happy to see.

A few of them who remain Adobe users, have some Affinity products they are playing with. They find the lack of a Usage Subscription very appealing and are exploring how best to use Affinity products.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom