Printing BIG with m4/3

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I'm now in possession of the Epson SC P800 A2 printer, it arrived yesterday.
    I printed off my first full size A2 print this evening and I'm very pleased [​IMG]
    For those who think m43 isn't capable of printing large because the small sensor size won't have enough detail, resolution or whatever then think again.
    The detail and sharpness of the print is excellent, I've framed it and hung it up and it looks superb.

The shot was taken with an E-M5 and Lumix 7-14 lens at 7mm, I spent a fair bit of time soft proofing the photo in LR to optimise it for printing.

I want to create some panoramas using the LR6 panorama stitching tool, I've had a few practice panoramas but not got one yet worthy of printing. I'm still waiting for the roll feed and paper so I can print large / long pano's, can't wait.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Congrats. The wife constantly print A3 on our Canon Pixma Pro 1 without problem. I am not surprised A2 is a nice print. If I wanted to do a mural I would run my file through Perfect Photo Suite's Resize module. It used to be the standalone product Genuine Fractals. If doing a canvas wrap it will also use a mirror function to create the parts that wrap around the frame.

Big image files are now possible from E-M5II in high res mode. The new Panasonic GX8 has a 20MP sensor.
  3. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    I printed some shots for an exhibition recently up to 30x20 inches. I used photoshop to upscale and they looked amazing. Even those from cropped originals.
  4. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    It's all about the line pairs/picture height your camera plus lens can achieve. I'm sure if your shots were taken with the Body Cap Lens, you wouldn't be raving quite so much!

Anything above 1600 lw/ph for MTF50 is going to look amazing at A2 size.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've made a 30"x20" canvas print @ 200ppi from a shot taken at f/13 (OH NO DIFFRACTION!!!), and it came out great.

Here's a thread I made talking about the experience:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I also have some 20x30" prints in my living room right now taken with the EM1 and 40-150/2.8

Look fantastic if I do say so myself. Then again, I have a 20x30" sitting right next to those 2 from my Nikon D50 nad 55-200/4-5.6 and it looks amazing too. Printing is starting with a good source and then knowing how to optimize what you have for the type and size of print you are doing.

One other thing that a lot of people don't really understand is viewing distances. The larger the print, the further away from it should be viewed.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've done A0-A3 work using pictures taken using an E-M1, having seen how fantastic they looked the MP of an image has taken a serious backseat to the artistic merits gained by savagely cropping. My favorite image was taken using the 12-40mm f2.8 at 40mm and f/22 as faux macro - hardly conditions people would call ideal for sharpness. The only thing which makes the shot work is having enough in focus, if half was much sharper and the rest obliterated it wouldn't have worked at all.

Use whatever f/stop and equipment you need to realize the picture you see in your mind, anything past that is wasting time on stuff that doesn't actually matter at the end of the day.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    We have a 20x24 print of our little girl hanging in the living room, shot in-camera JPG in "vivid" mode from our E-M10 with the kit lens of all things. Printed on silk paper. Looks wonderful. Before this camera I would have thought I needed my old Canon, my old 24-70/2.8L lens, and some work with a raw image for an image of this size.
  9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not to derail the thread, but it's ones like these that make me step back and think, "What the hell are all of these people bitching about needing more MP for?". I think the people clamoring for more MP fall in to two categories:
    1. People who crop the living sh*t out of their images (20MP really won't help them much since it's such an incremental increase over 16MP, but I digress)
    2. People who judge a camera simply by its specs. "Ugh, Canon has a 50MP FF sensor, Sony has a 42MP FF sensor, Nikon has a 36MP FF sensor, and Panasonic/Olympus are still stuck at 16MP".
    Either way, I doubt very many, if any, of the people who fall in to either one of the categories above actually print their images. If they actually printed them, they would see just how well a 16MP image actually prints. I'm onboard with many other people who instead of wishing for more MP, were actually wishing for a sensor with better DR and noise performance (both low and high ISO), since those are things that will actually lead to a better final image.

Anyways, back to your regularly schedule programming.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  10. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I agree completely. Also, I get a bit of a smile out of such threads when the definition of "BIG" is what, at work, we consider "small". Our "regular" is 20x30" and the most commonly printed sizes are larger, between 29x44 and 40x60".

I regularly print large prints (read: 40x60" and larger) from image files created from a mix of sources; 35mm chromes scanned on an Imacon 828, 36mp Nikon D800 images, and 16mp small sensor images (Nikon CoolPix P7100). In fact I printed another 72"w x 48"h triptych from the P7100 today. While anyone with a careful eye and and a degree of image knowledge can pick out the D800 images most of the time, I would challenge anyone to pick out the P7100 images from the 35mm Velvia scans based on sharpness and grain/noise along. It's only the "digital" hue and tonality differences that let the scans be islolated, and then only in a few cases. The largest we've gone with an image from the P7100 is 45x96", printed on high gloss aluminum, that was created by stretching the image aspect ratio to fit the print shape.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    i have 20/25 vision and i have to be at palms length from my 16x24 photos to see the details contained therein.

ive also got cropped photos printed to 13x19 at 125ppi to great effect.

and a 125ppi blown to 30x40 on canvas and my only regret is that i didnt go even larger with it.

anyone who complains about pixels, sharpness, or printability, or quote the 300ppi figure, i would wager my gear they have never printed. its just internet forum fodder for keyboard photographers.
    • Agree Agree x 2