1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

printing an image from a small file

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Luke, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Hi all. One of my customers at my business was in a rock band in the 60s for a fleeting few moments. He has a photocopy of one shot from a book (which he no longer owns....and I can't find the book) and nothing else. The photocopy is pretty terrible and beyond repair, but I found a second photo online that's pretty good. It's a pretty small file, though and was wondering if there is anything I can do to "make it bigger" in addition to trying some minor re-touches.

I'd like any advice you have. If you are interested in playing with the image, feel free to grab a copy and have a go at it.

Also, because I'm sure the colors were wild and psychedelic, I'd like to try my hand at something I've never attempted before. Can anyone point me to a Photoshop tutorial on "colorizing" a photo. I know a lot of the times, these can look pretty hokey, but it would be a fun exercise anyway.

Sam on drums by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Looking forward to hearing your tips and tricks. Thanks in advance.

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Luke:

I took a web image and made a 6 foot poster out of it, so I would say you can. What application do you have? The basic process would be:

1. Add pixels. 3,000 along the width will be plenty.

2. Apply unsharp masking.

3. Print as large as you want.

Simple.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I use Photoshop Elements. How do I "add pixels"? Do I just open a new blank image that is 3000 pixels wide and then 'stretch' the old image inside the new 'canvas'? That doesn't seem like that would produce a good result, but maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. Also, I imagine I'd 'make it bigger' first , then retough and then apply unshrap mask.....is that workflow right?

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I just had a peek at your file. The biggest problem will be the jpeg artifacts from compression. Those are going to be a bigger problem than the number of pixels.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You want an "Image size" option. Canvas size is not it.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Yup......that much I understand, too. I was thinking that once it's bigger, I can get creative with the cloning tool, spot healing tool and maybe some noise reduction. I understand I have my work cut-out for me, but I enjoy the challenge.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    OK.....I'm there now, regarding checkboxes scale styles and constrain proprotions......checked or unchecked?

And the resample image drop-down menu, which do you think would give better results or should I juts try tham all and see what works?

8. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    When adding pixels, they say it's best to do it 10% at a time until you get to the size you want. Many little steps vs. one big one. I don't know about Elements but in the Photoshop Image Size, there are three options when changing the size - the default, one for reduction and one for enlargement.

There are also programs like Genuine Fractals that enlarge files but probably not worth the expense for you in this case.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    One of the resample options maybe labeled for enlargement, use that. Otherwise you want bicubic, and possibly bicubic smoother. Nearest neighbor would be the worst for this.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Huge thanks to Hikari for getting me through "enlarging" the digital photo. I was able to get rid of the JPEG arttifacts to a certain extent (at the expense of detail of course), but it was still pretty janky looking, so I ended up doing a digital painting which I'll share with you here. If you would like to see some intermediate steps of straight noise reduction and processing, click through to the my flickr stream. You can also read up a bit of history on the photo, too.

Impressions of the Mainliners by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Thanks again Hikari, I owe you one!