Print sizes compatible with m43?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by trucarp, Apr 15, 2013.

1. trucarp

trucarp Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    Hi Guys:
    On the advice of someone much smarter than me, I shoot my GX-1 using the native format of 4:3. Problem is most labs don't print 6x4-1/2 or some other compatible size, so my images get cropped or I have to otherwise alter them. I'm sure this is a common newbie problem, can someone enlighten me?

Thanks
    Andy

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Nope. It's not a newbie problem. It's just a known issue with how different camera formats work. If you print at 7x5, 8x6, 10x8, 16x12 etc you're going to have to crop much less with m4/3 than the typical 3:2 format of a DSLR. The 3:2 ratio is actually a lot less common in both camera and printers than a 3:4 ratio.

You could always print a 4x5.3 inch print and have the little black border on each end of the print, or trim them yourself.

Gordon

3. trucarp

trucarp Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    Thaks Gordon for your reply. Do the "pro" labs at least print to appropriate sizes?

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Some but not all, you'll have to ring around. It won't be any cheaper than a 6x4 though.

Gordon

5. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I'm quite suprised at that. Where are you based ? Here in the UK we've had 6x4.5, 8x6, 12x9 and so on for a number of years now. This matches most compact camera formats too. Have you tried the mass-market printers or just "pro" suppliers ?