Print sizes compatible with m43?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by trucarp, Apr 15, 2013.

1. trucarp

trucarp Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    Hi Guys:
    On the advice of someone much smarter than me, I shoot my GX-1 using the native format of 4:3. Problem is most labs don't print 6x4-1/2 or some other compatible size, so my images get cropped or I have to otherwise alter them. I'm sure this is a common newbie problem, can someone enlighten me?

Thanks
    Andy

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Nope. It's not a newbie problem. It's just a known issue with how different camera formats work. If you print at 7x5, 8x6, 10x8, 16x12 etc you're going to have to crop much less with m4/3 than the typical 3:2 format of a DSLR. The 3:2 ratio is actually a lot less common in both camera and printers than a 3:4 ratio.

You could always print a 4x5.3 inch print and have the little black border on each end of the print, or trim them yourself.

Gordon

3. trucarp

trucarp Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    Thaks Gordon for your reply. Do the "pro" labs at least print to appropriate sizes?

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Some but not all, you'll have to ring around. It won't be any cheaper than a 6x4 though.

Gordon

5. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I'm quite suprised at that. Where are you based ? Here in the UK we've had 6x4.5, 8x6, 12x9 and so on for a number of years now. This matches most compact camera formats too. Have you tried the mass-market printers or just "pro" suppliers ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.