1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Print Sizes and Frames

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by HaViet, May 10, 2014.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    So, I've been taking quite a few pics of my children, nephew, nieces, family and friends. Yesterday, I ordered two 8x10 from Walgreens and was a little disappointed. The 8x10 ratio seems a little too square'ish for me.

Just wondering what sizes most people print in, that are also easy to find picture frames for.

Also, where do you source your frames from? Online? Link?

Thanks

2. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang

4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20 are pretty much standard print & frame sizes. 8x10 is dated way back to full format (4x5) and carried thru til now.

Just a simple math, (8x10/2) is 4:5. of Full Format. 4x6 is (2:3*2) of dLSR. 3:4 is m43&P&S and need to crop to any desired print size.

I used to have an Epson 2200 printer and printed my own, but I didn't print enough & the inks dried out. Therefore, now all the time I print at Costco:
    http://www.costcophotocenter.com/Home

I found they have a very reasonable price, a good job & many print sizes that you could choose. Either frame or frame-less. Create an account, upload your images and select print size of your preference. Print & go pick up. In my settings, I just uncheck/unselect auto color correction as I already corrected my images.

Costco also has Canvas prints of different of sizes (frame/frameless) which I printed lately. I quite like them.

As of frames, I usually go to Aaron Brothers/Michael's to get their "standard" frame size (most economical price.) I usually choose a bigger frame size than my print size and I can add a standard pre-cut single/double-mats to the frame (looks better with a mat :smile:)
    http://www.aaronbrothers.com/category/framing
    http://www.aaronbrothers.com/canvases/timeframe

In addition, all their frames come with "glossy" glass. If you preferred, you could request them to cut you a "non-glossy/anti-glossy" glass so it has minimal reflection. They also have a reasonable price. I go for a non-glossy glass when printed bigger than 8x10 (again, looks better :smile:)

Hope this helps and have fun :biggrin:

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Framing is very subject dependent, style colouring etc, then obviously the place they will hang is also important. What a lot of galleries do is have a load of frames in set sizes and then get the image printed with a white border so as to be able to print first. So if you want to use standard frames and print full frame you either get the print done with a white border to fit or use a mat, be careful though as if it ends up too imbalanced between horizontal and vertical then it can look odd. Do think of getting a set of frames made though if you want the best result , they can be used over time with different images if you want. Also it might be worth looking in to other forms of mounting like diamond or mdf and other forms of block mounting, they often work as a better option than classic frames.

4. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    My work is aimed at 30x40cm prints (12x16 inch). I usually present those in 40x50cm frames (16x20 inch) with a mat. I have a standard set of frames and mats, and only rare have to get a mat tailored to suit a cropped print. If prints are way off the normal sizes, like panorama's, I usually go for another way of presentation, like no frame and glass at all, just mounted on board, perhaps with white or black border.
    It takes some time and experimenting, but in the end life gets a lot easier if you figure out some kind of standardisation. Just never let that keep you from doing something wild...

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use mpix. As a little tip, sign up, add a few things to your cart and then wait a few days...usually they will send you a coupon code for 15% as a reminder. I'll then add a whole bunch more stuff.
    Quality is great and they ship relatively quickly.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    8 1/2 x 11 is a very common size frame/mat opening in the US. The aspect ration is also very close to 4:3 so it's pretty easy from any camera that shoots in that aspect ratio. (all the 4/3 variants and almost all P&S cameras) I would also suggest 5 x 7 and 11 x 14. Very common size and close aspect ratio to 4/3. 3:2 aspect ratio frames are much less common because it really didn't exist until the invention of 35mm still film cameras in the early 20th century.