Prince Philip has just died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
David
A great loss to his family but at 99 I suspect that as things came to a close he thought "Thank Gawd for that!"
Very much a man of his time, he served this nation unflinchingly and supported our Queen through everything, putting his own mark on history. His kind - true characters, with strength of character - will not be seen again.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
He lived quite the long life for sure. Sad to see him pass. He and the Queen represent quite a legacy that will be hard to fill with the younger generations. Things will surely be different in the future. Not necessarily in a bad way but the ties to the 20th century will be cut to some degree I would assume.

This is a kind-of funny thing to say, seeing as how he was noted for steering the monarchy towards more modernity. Of course that didn't stop him from being a gaff-prone, insensitive guy with a terrible sense of humour.

He once asked an aboriginal Australian businessman "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

I occasionally wondered if he did those things to troll the news-media.

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, but she changes from day to day...

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Bloody hell, this guy was a genius. My girl made me quit reading, tears in my eyes, snorting and laughter.

Just got a tip from a friend I should watch The Windsors on Netflix.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Well, as a Republican Brit, I’ll drink a toast to Philip the man and remember him for being a truly decent type - but I’d much rather the whole lot of them slunk off to Monaco or somewhere like that and we could get on with modernising our clunky constitution, voting system, and political institutions. Maybe Charlie boy will do the right thing and make it happen.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There's the difference, I guess.

Most Australians actually do care when the USA has yet another of its weekly or daily slaughters ...

We also care if your respected public figures suffer gross misfortune or death.

We are all humans together.

I am saddened when a thoroughly decent man who has dedicated himself to a life of service to the people dies.

Did you know that 775,000 Australians benefited from the Duke of Edinburgh scholarship scheme?

What have you or I done that is of such merit? ...
If you even glanced at my post you surely saw that I wasn't saying I don't care about his death, but rather commenting on this: "Many of we colonists don't think she's all that keen on Charles' ascension!". So WTF are you going on about?

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
but I’d much rather the whole lot of them slunk off to Monaco or somewhere like that and we could get on with modernising our clunky constitution, voting system, and political institutions.
Our royal family is purely for ceremonial purposes. The things you would like changed on the political front is down to our politicians.

Real Name
Chris
This is a kind-of funny thing to say, seeing as how he was noted for steering the monarchy towards more modernity. Of course that didn't stop him from being a gaff-prone, insensitive guy with a terrible sense of humour.

He once asked an aboriginal Australian businessman "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

I occasionally wondered if he did those things to troll the news-media.

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, but she changes from day to day...

I am not a follower enough to know what his influence was but at 99, he definitely represents a different generation.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Patrick, I do not think that you understand the stresses that the royal family is subjected to on a daily basis by the (rotten to the core) media.

This is on top of the actual pressures of the actual job ...
While I agree with you that celebrities get the short end of the stick with the media and their private lives, no argument there. But what has she actually done that warrants any kind of accolades simple for being a "royal" and hosting a lot of events that have to be conducted exactly as she demands which is mostly a bunch of luncheons, receiving lines, and other nonsense that helps no one and seem to be all about nothing more than an affirmation of the royal family?

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I honestly could not care less.
Rot in peace.
When I was a little boy, I remember the Queen Elizabeth came to my town and drove through in a luxury car. Waving at the adoring people who turned out to catch a glimpse... I just don’t get it.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
While I agree with you that celebrities get the short end of the stick with the media and their private lives, no argument there. But what has she actually done that warrants any kind of accolades simple for being a "royal" and hosting a lot of events that have to be conducted exactly as she demands which is mostly a bunch of luncheons, receiving lines, and other nonsense that helps no one and seem to be all about nothing more than an affirmation of the royal family?
Patrick, you must be reading/viewing the Murdoch press.

Dame Elizabeth Murdoch was an inspiration to all in the community. Her son has hated the royal family for as long a I have had a serious interest in these things (mid 1960s).

His media have never reported on any of the good and decent things the royal family do.

Don't take my word for this. Tony Blair became the British PM as an anti-royalist. He finished his terms as a profoundly pro-royalist.

The Queen has nearly 70 years experience in the affairs of state. That experience has been freely shared with every PM and government over that time.

Etc, etc ...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dame Elizabeth Murdoch was an inspiration to all in the community. Her son has hated the royal family for as long a I have had a serious interest in these things (mid 1960s).

His media have never reported on any of the good and decent things the royal family do.

Don't take my word for this. Tony Blair became the British PM as an anti-royalist. He finished his terms as a profoundly pro-royalist.

The Queen has nearly 70 years experience in the affairs of state. That experience has been freely shared with every PM and government over that time.

Etc, etc ...
OK, well all of that is well and good , but again I ask the question, what has the queen actually DONE for anyone beside "affairs of state" which to me reads as only code for looking out for one's self image.

Please, what are some of the "good and decent things the royal family do" that we can hang our hats? Name even a few that have actually improved the lives of people who are not gifted millions of dollars a year simply because someone in the past decided to fornicate with someone else. Last time I checked, F'ing someone wasn't considered a charitable write off or a act of generosity, unless you are talking about the old "taking one for the team" among friends or frat brothers.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...

Etc, etc ...
BTW, Mr Justice Michael Kirby (retired High Court judge here), is an avowed republican (vs. Monarchist). His essay on the subject makes for interesting reading ...

http://www.lawfoundation.net.au/ljf/app/&id=DF4206863AE3C52DCA2571A30082B3D5

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
OK, well all of that is well and good , but again I ask the question, what has the queen actually DONE for anyone beside "affairs of state" which to me reads as only code for looking out for one's self image.

Please, what are some of the "good and decent things the royal family do" that we can hang our hats? Name even a few that have actually improved the lives of people who are not gifted millions of dollars a year simply because someone in the past decided to fornicate with someone else. Last time I checked, F'ing someone wasn't considered a charitable write off or a act of generosity, unless you are talking about the old "taking one for the team" among friends or frat brothers.
Please educate yourself, Patrick. It's not incumbent upon me to fill the gaps in your knowledge or education, any more than it is yours to fill mine.

Please take the time to read the essay I posted by a devout republican (Mr Justice Kirby) .

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Please educate yourself, Patrick. It's not incumbent upon me to fill the gaps in your knowledge or education, any more than it is yours to fill mine.

Please take the time to read the essay I posted by a devout republican (Mr Justice Kirby) .

OK got it, so you got nothing then?

I have nothing personally against these people. They where born into a system of extreme privilege and really do not know much else. That isn't their fault and of course, like most, I am jealous I wasn't born into extreme wealth, privilege, and self affiliation. However born outside of that I still maintain the royal family and many of their "royal subjects" are delusional and that they really do nothing to improve the life of others less fortunate than themselves.

Last edited:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...

Keeping the Commonwealth together ...
Or is that not worthy of note?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
OK got it, so you got nothing then?

I have nothing personally against these people. They where born into a system of extreme privilege and really do not know much else. That isn't their fault and of course, like most, I am jealous I wasn't born into extreme wealth, privilege, and self affiliation. However born outside of that I still maintain the royal family and may of their "royal subjects" are delusional and that they really do nothing to improve the life of others less fortunate than themselves.
You are displaying your ignorance and prejudice, Sir.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Or is that not worthy of note?
No it isn't. Why does the "commonwealth" matter? The "commonwealth" is specifically former British colonies. The word "former" implies that even those places do not want to be part of the British empire anymore. Let's face it, Britain was one of the largest empires of oppression & slavery in the world making the atrocious acts of the USA during slavery look like child's play, and ya, we were terrible, no argument there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom