Primes vs Fast Zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ranxoren, May 26, 2013.

1. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    As I am sitting here looking at my almost complete (for now :biggrin:) set of lenses, I can't help but wonder what people think about this.

In the spirit of roughly the same budget (current Amazon prices), would you go for:

Oly 12 ($799.99) + Oly 17 ($499.99) + Oly 45 ($399.99)

OR

Pany 12-35 ($1,139.00) + Oly 45 ($399.99)

People that have the Pany 12-35 would you trade for Primes?
    People that have the Oly primes, would you trade for the Pany fast zoom?

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut

It probably depends on what your needs are. My dad photographs real estate for a living (as well as being an agent), so he prefers fast zooms. They let him get in and out of a property more quickly, and are more versatile for framing shots. Having the best sharpness isn't as important, since these are mostly going on a website or being printed in a brochure.

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hmmm... when I was shooting FF I preferred zooms coz lenses like the 70-200mm f/2.8 can easily give you shallow dof plus I did not really care about how big the camera got :rolleyes:

The reason I shifted is to have a smaller setup, so now I started buying some primes, plus the fact that the primes gives you a bit shallower dof and they make you more creative.

it's a toss up I guess, the zooms are definitely more comfortable and flexible. With that said I think The 12-35mm + 45mm seems to be a very very good combo by the way.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I tire of endlessly switching out lenses on a day of shooting. It can be a pain. The 12-35 is certainly the next lens I'm getting.

5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I have a several primes and both 2.8s for ยต43. To be honest, I prefer shooting with the primes. However, the zooms are very nice and offer a flexibility that primes can't match. I take a trio of primes if I'm traveling small, fast, and light. If I need to be more flexible or covering an event for work, I'll take the 2.8s + a prime or two. I'm also still learning about what/how I like to shoot, so I'm still getting a feel for some of the gear and how it affects my photography.

6. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Yeah I went with the primes myself as well. Love the shallowed DOF and moving around my subject rather than zooming.
    But the 12-35 definitely is a great lens!

7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I am planning to purchase more primes but to save my lens mount I am really considering buying a second body :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I would go for the 12-35 and the 45. It would give you a lot of versatility and the 45 would let you control DOF more.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't see how 3 primes are lighter/smaller than one small/light zoom.

The IQ compares favorably to all the wide primes, you aren't losing much.

10. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I prefer primes, in such case two body configuration is a must to avoid frequent lens switching. Zoom lens will give you compactness and versatility, but when comparing corresponding focal lengths primes outperforms zooms easily.

11. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    It would be cool to find someone local and trade primes vs fast zoom for a few hours during a photo walk and then get each others perspective :)

12. Boils down to personal peference. I shoot primes... always have.. but I do also have zooms as they do have their usefullness. When I travel light, very often its a medium zoom with one fast normal prime. So its not necessarily a this or that is the best fit. With Canon, it was a 24-105L with a 50mm f/1.4. Very versatile.

13. mymy

mymy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Malaysia
    I only have 12-35 and 45 at the moment and very happy with those but I'm getting 17 soon for the following reason:

1. There's time I feel the 12-35 is somewhat large and heavy.

2. Occasionally 2.8 isnt fast enough in low light situation.

Just to share my opinion

14. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    That's exactly what I was thinking about when writing up the OP.
    I guess 2.8 isn't what 1.8 is when you're in a very low light environment.

15. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    In an ideal world, you need a mix of both.

16. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Haha ding ding ding $$$$$$$$$ :)

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Speed is important to me. The ability to fill the frame and get the shot without compromising which I initially saw as photogenic. If I only had one body, then the zoom, if I have two bodies, the primes.

I would pass on the 12-35 + 45 combo ... dump the 45 and save for either the 35-100 or the 75. It has been my experience that f/2.8 is fine for low light especially with IBIS and such good IQ at elevated ISO's.

Gary

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My thoughts exactly (well, except to correct 35-70 with 35-100mm, lol)! :) The first thing I thought was that the 45mm is too close and you need better spread in that option.

19. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I personally would prefer having a zoom on the tele or ultra-wide ends of the spectrum. In the middle I like having a fast prime.

20. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I love my 12-35 and it is really the only lens I have that approached my full frame lenses.