1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Prime Trinity w/ 25mm longest?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dornblaser, Jul 27, 2015.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I often carry the O17 & O45 but the O17 receives almost all of use. I have been rethinking which lenses to carry and I was wondering how many people carry primes that are 25mm or wider?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I try to always travel with an E-M1, 7.5mm, 25mm, 45mm, Fujifilm flash (it's about the size of the 25mm, takes two AA batteries), and two spare batteries in a small bag.

The flash allows good exposure even in low light if needed (direct flash only) and the primes cover most common situations in a tiny package (the flash is GN20@ISO100, the Olympus FL-14 is larger and less powerful).
    Edit: the flash also allows sync at 1/500th on the E-M1 allowing it to be used during the day far more easily.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    My always with me setup is my EM5 with my Oly 17mm ƒ2.8 attached and my 7.5mm because it's so small and fun.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3 primes with 25mm as the longest? Only thing I could think of would be:

fisheye
    12, 14 or 15
    25mm

I think having both 17 and 25 is extremely redundant.

FWIW, that seems like an extremely limiting kit unless you are a very niche type of photographer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I've always been a fan of the 28/35/50 trinity but I also have always had an 85/90 in my bag as well for as long as I can remember.

In fact, when I used to shoot film with both Nikon and Contax systems, I owned all of these lengths as well as multiple copies of 50s with several Nikons and two different Zeiss 50s (1.4 and 1.7).

In my bag, the 28/35 is covered by my Fuji X100T and/or X100/Ricoh GRD3 and my O25/1.8 and O45/1.8 covers the rest.

If I only shot with m43, I'd most likely add the O12/2 and P15/1.7 to my bag.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    When I don't have the 12-40 and 75 combo in my bag (like right now), It's either the 7.5, 20 or P25, 75 trinity or the 25 45 75 trinty.

If I had the funds for the 12, then likely, I'd have the 12, 25, 45 or 75 trinity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I always carry the 9mm BCL in my mm10 bag, and often the 17mm f1.8 in a pouch.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  8. TransientEye

TransientEye Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2013
    Barcelona
    Mark
    I am not sure I understand why you would need three lenses with 25mm as the maximum.

I normally carry 12/25/45. There is no really good u4/3 prime wider than the 12, so it is difficult to see how you could construct a usefully distinct three-lens setup without exceeding 25mm. I usually use the 12mm for street photography, and the 25mm for general shooting. The 45mm is only rarely used - I am not a great fan of its image quality and the DOF control is still not great - it will probably be replaced by the 75mm f1.8 at some point in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It doesn't have to be three lenses, or a trinity, I was just interested to learn if there any folks who carry normal to wide primes.

10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I do find differences between 12mm and 17mm and make a conscious choice between the 2 and my preferred 3 primes would be the Olympus 12/17/25 trio but I could also lean to a trio of the new Olympus 8mm PRO which keeps tempting me plus the 12 or 17 and the 25. My concern about the fisheye is simply whether or not I would use it all that much and physically it is a larger and heavier lens than the other primes I've mentioned. I do have the 9mm BC lens but I would not consider it as part of a prime trinity, simply because I don't think the image quality stands up to that sort of comparison and because a fixed f/8 aperture is too slow and inflexible for a lot of situations.

In many ways, my solution to your issue has become the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO zoom. I've got the primes, I always preferred the primes, but the 12-40 is the zoom that converted me to using a zoom as my regular lens. It's bigger and heavier than any of the primes but probably not bigger and heavier than carrying the 12/17/25 trio, it gives me a 40mm range as well, I don't have to change lenses, f/2.8 is fast enough in most situations during the day, and I really like the quality of the results from the 12-40, something I've never been willing to say about the kit zooms I got with my original E-P3.

I know you asked about primes and on that basis I'd go for the Olympus 12/17/25 trio but the 12-40 really has been a game changer for me on this front.

• Like Like x 2
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I currently own a 25mm, 20mm and 60mm. The 20 and 25 would be redundant, but the fact is the pancake stays on my GM body and the 25 and 60 alternate on my EM10.

Still debating whether to keep the 20mm or get another 17mm f2.8 due to smaller size and somewhat more practical focal length to rock with the 25mm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Logically, 14mm f2.5 makes the most sense to go along with your 25 and 60mm in a 3 lens kit. However, practically, if you take the GM out alone, then 14mm as an only lens can be quite wide.

Is the 20mm that much smaller than the 25mm when used on the GM? It is short, but it is also very fat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I don't quite like the 14mm. Perhaps my copy was bad, but it seemed worse in IQ than the 17mm f2.8 that I also owned in past. Plus, I have an Oly VF1 optical viewfinder which I enjoy using. It fits with either the 20mm or the 17mm, but wouldn't really work with the 14mm.

The 20mm is frustratingly fat, it kind of overwhelms the GM1/5. The 25mm is indeed narrower. The 17mm pancake fits the GM bodies very well, as well as having marginally faster focusing than the 20mm. So I'm weighing this against the larger aperture and sharper images of the 20mm. Such a tough decision!

• Like Like x 1
  14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I appreciate the replies. I would be interested in knowing what folks take pictures of. I take mainly cityscapes, travel, gardens, sort-of-street photography light, very few portraits and wildlife. I started this thread when I looked at some of the focal lengths I was using with my 12-40 and realizing that I don't use the O45 much. Instead of carrying the O17 & O45 (or the 12-40), I am going to carry the O12, O17 & O25 instead for a while.