1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Prime Decision Making!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sam_colbear, Jul 17, 2013.

1. sam_colbear

sam_colbear Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2013
    Hi people

I purchased an e-p3 with the 12-50mm kit lens several months ago.

I have since purchased the olympus 45mm prime.

I am not sure weather to go for the panasonic 20mm f1.7 or the olympus 17mm f1.8 as my next purchase.

What are your thoughts??

Thanks

Sam

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Both are fine lenses that are capable of producing outstanding results. The O17 is going to achieve focus faster, while the P20 is more compact. Beyond the focal length differences, you'll need to determine which of those elements is of more value to you.

What sorts of subjects do you anticipate using it for?

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

3. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks for the quick post the olympus is pricier. Is it worth the extra cost for the quick focus? I'm planning a trip to Vegas and New York so wanting a killer street lens.

4. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    One line of thought is to stick with the OEM lens, in your case the Oly 17mm.
    If you feel compelled with the Panny 20mm, wait for the second version due out later this year.

5. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    The 45mm f/1.8 was my first prime because I very much enjoy portrait photography. I ended up going with the 17mm f/1.8 as my second lens because of the faster autofocus for shooting candid photographs downtown. Had I been interested in landscapes I would've gone with the P20 as it appears to achieve slightly superior corner to corner sharpness. Honestly, I've done a few landscapes with the 17mm and don't notice any deficiency in my finished prints (one of which was rather aggressively enlarged for above my fireplace). Both are wonderful fast primes that are plenty sharp for any use.

6. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    For street photography I would say the focus speed is indeed worth the extra cost. You don't miss those fleeting moments when the autofocus is just as fast as you can press the shutter release. :cool:

7. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    Look like the 17mm could be the winner. Lets see if the credit card is ready!

Here is my kit so far...

8. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    Black or Silver tho...

9. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I recently posted a user review of the 20mm on the OMD here:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f38/user-review-panny-20mm-omd-49324/

In short, I love the image quality on the 20mm, but haven't really tested the lens in low-light conditions.

I have never used the 17mm and I do want to add it to my collection in the future, but I have heard conflicting reviews regarding image quality. Some love it and some think it is subpar. However, I have heard the autofocus is much faster than the 20mm and I personal love the manual focus ring/clutch on the 17 (similar to the one that's on the 12mm, which I own).

10. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    The main problem is if I get the Olympus am I going to still be wanting the 20mm?!?!

11. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Heheh I have the inverse problem. I have the 20, but still want the 17 =)

12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I feel that EVERY :43: shooter should own the P20 -- it's really a delightful little lens. The slow AF doesn't only very rarely is an issue for me.

13. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

Just a thought... Unless you're absolutely in love with your 12-50 (I have one that I'm not in love with, so I'm hatching a similar plan to this)...
    If you think you can already afford the 17, buy the Panny 20 and pocket the $150 (more or less) you'd be saving.
    Then sell your 12-50 for as close to $250 as you can, throw in the $150 that you saved, and you're almost in for an Oly 12mm.
    I only say this because I'm thinking of doing it. IMHO, a 12/20/45 trio would be better than 12-50/17/45. Meaning that if I already had 17 and 45 primes, the only thing I'm keeping the kit zoom around for is 12mm...
    Best of luck!

14. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    Now you have thrown the spanner in the works!

If they did cost the same which would win?

15. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Really, only you can determine for your own needs whether the P20 AF is absolutely fine, slow but acceptable, or too slow compared to other lens options. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this.

It is significantly slower than the Oly 45mm, which is a joy to use.

Depending on what focal lengths you want, you could also consider the Panasonic 14mm and Panasonic 25mm- both are excellent lenses as well. They also have very fast AF. The 14mm actually makes the 20mm look big, and is a great bargain. But...among all the choices mentioned, your preferred focal length is probably the most important factor.

I think the 14mm is a great street lens. So is the Oly 17mm if you want that focal length instead.

16. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    Ok so I think its going to be the Panasonic and see how I get on with it. Shall I hold out until the price drops of the original 20mm?

17. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the 14mm f/2.5 is a gem of a lens and can be had on the cheap on Ebay..

Magic happens, with that 14mm.

ch-omd-1.

18. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    That shot is incredible.

And I got to alot of american car shows here in the UK.

19. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have the 12-50mm and the 20mm and my next lens will either be the 45mm or the 60mm, leaning more towards the 60. I got the 20 before the 17/f1.8 was available, so i really didnt have this problem when deciding, but i couldn't be happier with the 20mm. Its a little slower to focus but its really not as bad as its played out to be and man is it sharp.

20. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    I have ordered the panasonic 20mm f1.7. Should be here in a couple of days.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta