Prime choices... Fujinon CF25B 25/1.4 or Pana 20mm/1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jakob F., Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Hi,
    I've recently sold my 17/2.8 kit lens to make money for the 20/1.7 since I like to shoot in natural (low) light (I know I just mentioned two native lenses in the adapted forum, but bear with me...)
    My original dilemma was whether I should buy the 20 now or save for the Nokton/Voigtländer 25/0.95 later -but now a new option has presented itself, in the form of a used Fujinon CF25B 25mm/1.4 which I can get for the same price as the Panasonic 20/1.7

So... I shoot manual most of the time anyway (well, all of the time, actually, now I've sold the only AF lens I had) with a 35/2.8 and 50/1.4 (both Zuiko's) -I'd sometimes like something a little wider than the 35, but tend to carry the 50 everywhere I go, so I'm not sure whether I should stick to the original plan and buy the 20mm pancake for indoor and birthdays and stuff like that, or go for the not-so-wide and not-so-pancake but a tad faster 25mm...
    And if so -should I wait, and save some more for the Nokton? Choices, choices...

Opinions please... :)

/Jakob

2. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Hello Jakob F.

The Fujinon-TV CF25B 25mm/1.4 is an excellent lens. It is my preferred normal lens on m4/3. I love the Fujinon-TV 1" lenses, and I modify the CF25B and the CF12.5A 12.5mm/1.4 for best coverage, and precise focus and mount on m4/3. You can check out a review by 'Gekopaca' of my CF12.5A modification here: https://www.mu-43.com/f40/ekoehler7-fujinon-tv-12-5mm-1-4-full-coverage-modification-12723/

The CF25B requires machining of the rear diameter. It needs about 2mm taken off the height and 1.5mm taken off the width of the rear outer housing in order to fit within the 37.2mm of a c-mount to m4/3 adapter. Then, to be done right, it should be precisely collimated for infinity focus and accurate focus marks, and adjusted for upright marks indication. It's well worth it because the CF25B is a beautiful lens, both in terms of image quality and build quality... and it's very proportional to m4/3 cameras.
    It all depends on what you like in a lens. The 20/1.7 has autofocus and auto aperture, but I don't like kit lenses. I much prefer manual lenses with focus marks and an aperture ring.

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The Panasonic 20mm.

4. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The guy selling it has already modified it for m43 use, so adapter is included. I haven't been able to find anything like it for price comparison, but what should I expect to pay? €200? €300? More? Less? I only have my OM Zuikos to compare with, and even the 50/1.4 didn't cost much more than €90

Should I rather wait, and buy the Voigtländer when I've got the money?

5. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    If it's a clean CF25B modification, with precise focus and upright marks then I'd say around 200euros. Who did it?

Again, it's all what you prefer in a lens... manual or fully auto. Pancake or non. The difference in speed and focal length are almost negligible.

6. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Hmm... I don't know who did it, but I'll find out -he's asking more than €400 for it, which I think is a little steep -but then again, I haven't been able to find anything to compare the price with.

I'm all for the manuals, I love the Zuikos I've got, and just sold my kit 17mm so going all manual doesn't really bother me. I like that I have to think a bit more, instead of the camera doing it for me ;v)
    Which is why I'm also considering the Voigtländer, but that's another price entirely -and it'll probably be a while before they show up secondhand..

7. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    I hesitate to undervalue the CF25B modification, but that price is steep.

Do you know if the focus marks are precise, including infinity stop, and if the lens mounts with focus and aperture marks upright?

8. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    He says some guy in England has made it for him, and that the procedure wasn't cheap (hence the steep price, I suspect)
    He claims it's very accurate, that focus hits infinity at 5meters (which, apparently, should be nice when shooting in daylight?) and that there's very little vignetting, and none at all at f8.
    Apparently the adapter has been modified as well, to ensure correct distance between lens and camera -sounds like a bit of a hassle to adapt these fujinon lenses, huh?

9. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    I believe he means it reaches infinity focus at the 5 meter lens mark, otherwise referred to by some c-mount users as 'focusing past infinity'. This tells me it has not been collimated.

What happens is that at the 5 meter mark, you will have infinity focus... as you turn beyond the 5 meter mark, everything will go out of focus. You'll also lose your range of closest focus, and likewise all the focus marks will be inaccurate.

The claim about infinity focus at 5 meters being useful in daylight is complete rubbish. That is no more desirable in daylight than any other focusing error (and even more problematic in low light).

It's really not spectacularly difficult (or expensive) to modify the CF25B so that it seems made for m4/3. You just need to know what to do. I could collimate that one for you, but as it is that modification is incomplete.

10. tttulio

tttulio New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi, Selling the Fujinon, that used to be $25 for €400 is a rip off. not sure what modifications it had, but you can use it straight out of the box. I love the Computar 25mm f1.3 too. they go for about €50. on the other hand I bought a E-P1 refurb with 17mm pancake for my girlfriend from ebay.de for €230 COMPLETE. And the funny thing is, all its pictures look amazing, so Im no longer derisory of new lenses. Have a look at the Leica 25mm f1.4 too, I, ve seen the test shots and they are good.