Pricing of Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by slothead, Jun 20, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have the feeling that because of the popularity of these focal lengths (or equivalents) in the Canon and Nikon worlds, Panasonic has set their prices to what they think the market will bear. I don't entirely disagree with that, but I'm also not sure that the pricing should be wholly dependent on the popularity of the FLs in other systems. Personally I think they are priced too high for all they are.

Should I be making such assumptions? What do you guys think about that?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    To me, how Panasonic arrived at the price is of little matter and all discussions of price such as this are pretty pointless. Either the item represents a value for you (and you have the funds and the need/desire) in which case you make the purchase or you don't. If Panasonic doesn't find enough takers at a given price, they will adjust. Any hand-wringing that a price is "too high" doesn't seem productive to me.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If we were concerned about productivity 90% of what is posted here would not be ... :D

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Point taken. :thumbup:

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I had a loaner 12-35 for a week, shot probably 300 frames using an OMD in conjunction with a Fuji X100s and a second OMD with various primes of similar focal length.

The 12-35 was at least an equal to any other lens/camera combo I shot against it at the time.

THAT performance in a single lens that also happens to be 'relatively' small AND weather sealed !

Is it worth the $850-$950 ? If you want the ABSOLUTE BEST zoom available for the format. Then yes.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    The question I asked myself after shooting with it, was not whether the 12-35 is worth it, but rather is the 12/2 at $700 worth it ? Is the PL25 at $500 worth it ? Is the O17/1.8 at $550 worth it ?

7. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    I think they are a bit overpriced

And the f5.6 equivalent in terms of DOF makes them uninteresting for me

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Something is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. Which can be greatly influenced by your financial situation. I started serious photography as a poor college student and have always looked for bargains, buying and selling equipment to keep myself in gear.

As a result I tend to be "discriminating" (read: cheap) and as a result the higher end m43 lenses are less attractive to me. If I had more disposable income I would love to get the 12-35.

9. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    It's one of Panasonic's best selling lenses, right behind the 20mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.4 and 100-300mm. On occasion, you will even see it in Amazon's 100 best selling lenses list. That suggests it is priced appropriately for them.

Personally? The stateside price is a bit high, so I imported for $930 a couple months back. The lens is fantastic. In fact, it pretty clearly out-resolves the sensor over most of the aperture range and frame. I think this lens would shine even brighter with a 18 or 20Mp sensor.

I'm saving up for the 35-100mm right now (well...technically paying off the 12-35, benefits of interest free financing), and expect to pay ~$1,100 for it. I expect it will be well worth it and will probably end up being my main walkabout lens. I'm using the 45-175 in the meanwhile, which is a fantastic lens at a bargain price, but I find myself wishing it had a wider short-end.

10. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I have one, but I'm surprised the price hasn't dropped more. I was expecting the street price this long after release to be lower, so the market must have decided it is worth it.

Contrast that with Panasonic m4/3 bodies... I bought a GX1 with the 14-42X power zoom at full price after release.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If we all hold out and save our pennies, then maybe Panasonic will drop the price as quickly as they drop the price of their cameras!

Not.

Too late anyway, as I bought the 12-35 used from KEH...

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You didn't say why you think they're overpriced. :smile:

I certainly don't think they've overpriced in terms of IQ or utility, though that's a personal view.

I have gotten the feeling in a lot of threads on the pricing of these two lenses over the past year that many people think that because they're physically smaller and lighter than, say, FX equivalent lenses, that they should also cost less. That just doesn't add up (literally, or should I say arithmatically? :wink: ) for me - I doubt that the cost of raw materials is the most significant cost input on lenses like this.

13. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Lenses are tools. As such the value to you depends on what you get out of them. I am a chemist so I am all to aware of the cost/value of tools.

14. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    That is true.

I once compared these with Canon equivalents and used the comparison of the cost per pound of salmon; given farm raised versus wild.

Edited to add: So long as Panasonic does not do what Olympus did with the 75-300mm lens, owners of Panasonic (myself included) are reasonably protected. When I sold my Canon 70-200mm lens, I only lost around $300.00 on it in exchange for three years use of it. That went toward Micro 4/3 gear,

15. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I have the 12-35 and am in process of getting a 35-100, price was certainly a issue but once you start comparing to other systems the price is actually in line with what should be expected.
    My main issue (at least with the 12-35mm) is that for the money I think the lens should be less reliant on software correction (distortion/CA/Vignetting). If I am paying $1000 for a lens then I want the lens to do the work, not have its performance dictated by what body I have attached, but I guess thats more likely the way of the future... I wonder though, is that really progress?

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The 12-35 is worth every penny. High quality, fast enough for most things, and sharp. It and the 7-14 are two major selling points for the system for me.

17. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    As others have said, pricing is based on what the market will bear, rather than cost of production. That said, in a market with low barriers to competitive entry, it is difficult for manufacturers to earn large margins, because if they attempt premium pricing, customers switch brands.

In this instance, the pricing is comparable to or lower than the equivalent 2.8 zooms for other systems. While it could be argued that FF gear is larger and contains more glass, the counter argument that m4/3 demands more of manufacturers to achieve miniaturisation while also delivering good performance is in my view at least as persuasive.

So, in short, I don't think they're overpriced.

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think alot about the question "what is a lens?" these days. I know that sounds a little crazy, but in the film era huge amounts of research and trial went into trying to squeeze the last bits of performance out of a lens. Engineers couldn't use microprocessors to correct the lens' image in the camera. Now they can...and do...so...is the lens what I mount on the flange, or is it the optical/mechanical assembly PLUS the software? At the end of the day, probably just the optical/mechanical assembly, but I think (hope?) you all will see what I'm getting at. :smile:

19. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Canada
    Brian
    Coming from the Nikon world, the 12-35 was a bargain! I paid around $1700 for the equivalent Nikon 24-70 2.8 (Canada). And don't even get me started on the size/weight comparison.

Bottom line; I have my 24-70 (equivalent) lens and it is, by far, my most used lens in the system.

20. Jamie Hayes

Jamie Hayes New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2013
    Where best to order 35 to 100

I have the 12 to 35 for my gh3 and want to know where best to order the longer zoom. Any ideas?