1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pricing of Pana G7+14-140mm bundle vs lens on its own

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by btaylor, Sep 25, 2016.

1. btaylor

btaylor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2016
    Ben
    I bought my DMC-G7 with a 14-140 lens.
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Compact System Camera - Jessops - Compact System Cameras

It was just under £700, as it still appears to be on jessops.

But, that lens on its own, or what I think is the same lens as the one I've got, is £600!!?
    Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens - Jessops - Lenses

So jessops are selling the body for under £100?

How can that be right?

Is there two versions of the lens, and jessops have packaged the lower quality one with the camera? I'm not suggesting they have, but struggling to get my head round this pricing.
    If anyone wanted the lens, why would they buy it on its own, they might as well buy it with a body and then just sell the body on ebay for £100?
    Is the body actually only worth £100?

I don't get it. Can anyone explain?

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    There are two. f3.5 (MK II) and f4 (MK I). They are fairly close optically, though some give the MK II slightly higher marks. The big difference is the weight. The MK II is much lighter. If that is not a big deal for you, the MK I will be a good buy IMO. I have owned both, switched to the MK II because of the weight/tourist photography.

3. btaylor

btaylor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2016
    Ben
    Right - ok, but mine that came in the bundle with my G7 can go to f3.5 when zoomed right out, so must be the MkII.... so if anything I've got the better one!?
    Doesn't explain the pricing though?

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    F3.5 is the newer one. I didn't bother to puzzle out your pricing question. Ask the vendor.

5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    It is quite common for a camera+lens bundle to be cheaper than the cost of the two items separately, although this does seem a particularly good deal. Might be Panasonic discounting the price to move some stock of G7's before the G80 hits the shops.

6. The Vicar

The Vicar New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2015
    When I bought my GM1 + 12-32, IIRC also from Jessops, when the GM1 was on the run out I paid £249. The price from the same supplier for the lens on its own, was £259, so I got the body for -£10

• Like Like x 1