Pricing of Camera Gear

fStop16

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Erol
I was looking to update my photo gear and was searching the B&H Photo website. The Lumix G85 was selling for $697.99 with a 12-60mm kit kens. Meanwhile if you searched the lenses the same kit lens was listed at $497.99. My calculations tell me the camera is only worth $200.00. WOW, what a deal. I was just wondering how sometimes they arrive at the pricing for camera gear.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was looking to update my photo gear and was searching the B&H Photo website. The Lumix G85 was selling for $697.99 with a 12-60mm kit kens. Meanwhile if you searched the lenses the same kit lens was listed at $497.99. My calculations tell me the camera is only worth $200.00. WOW, what a deal. I was just wondering how sometimes they arrive at the pricing for camera gear.
Kit prices for most anything is cheaper than buying the parts individually.
One theory is rather than taking a $100 profit for the camera and $100 for the lens, they settle for $100 for both.
Then as Joel said, they got you in their camp.

The traditional battle has been between Nikon and Canon.
Once you buy into a brand, you are very unlikely to change, as you have too much invested in the gear.

With m4/3, while the lens mount is interchangeable between Olympus and Panasonic. My primary light/travel lens on my Olympus is a Panasonic 12-60 lens.
But there are limitations to swapping between brands.
The Dual/Sync IS only works with same brand camera and lens. So if you want dual/sync IS, you are stuck to the camera manufacturer's lenses.
So in your case, Panasonic would have you stuck in their camp.

fStop16

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Erol
Actually I am an Olympus fan. I was interested in the EM5 MK3 but it is not available yet. I am trying to decide between the EM5 MK2 or EM5 MK3. Right now I am using an EM10 MK2 and I am really not interested in video, I have essential tremmors and IBIS is extremely important to me. I have been using Olympus gear since my OM1. I've had Nikon and Canon and they are to large for me. I will wait untill some feedback on the EM5 MK3.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got to handle the MK3 in a local store on Saturday. I have the mk2 and wanted to see the update. My impressions
1. The AEL/AFL button has moved to the right and is easier to use.
2. The expanded SCP was really nice. They have added another row at the bottom. Main practical additions I saw were the Highlight/Shadow curve and what appeared to be a second IBIS option under the existing one - probably for video, but I didn't have the camera for that long.
3. The dials have more haptic resistance, which felt really good. The buttons in general seemed to have better tactile response than the mk2 (which is already excellent).
4. Very solid overall feel. Noticeable extra depth to the grip and thumb rest. Eye sensor did not seem so sensitive as the mk2 - I could review images on the LCD without constantly triggering the eye sensor.

A solid update of an excellent camera. Not revolutionary, but a nice upgrade. I'll wait for a price drop though. The mk2 is still a workhorse.

Does the composite top plate mean the scuff marks won't show as readily? I have a GX85 which is composite and scuffs don't show. The color is imbued into the composite rather than painted on top of the metal finish.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
trying to decide between the EM5 MK2 or EM5 MK3… I have been using Olympus gear since my OM1
If you have any 4/3rds glass (or if you're drooling over some world-class SHG glass that is a bargain these days), consider the MK3, because it has PDAF, which works speedily with 4/3rds lenses. On the MK2, 4/3rds auto-focus is going to be coffee-break slow.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom