[EXPIRED] Pricing Items: Fee Calculators for PayPal and Ebay

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by twokatmew, Aug 17, 2012.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'm sorry if this is not the correct sub-forum for this topic, but I didn't know where else to put it. So mods, if I've made extra work for you, I apologize. My intent is to be helpful to members who use the marketplace, not to cause extra work for anyone. :smile:

I know there's been some discussion about pricing items and using PayPal "gift," what the fees PayPal actually amount to, etc. This message is not about that! It's about helping both sellers and buyers calculate the true cost of a given item at a given price. :smile:

Although I've been using the USPS shipping calculator for a quite some time, I recently discovered that both PayPal and Ebay offer fee calculators too. The PayPal calculator is especially helpful, because it allows the seller to use their actual PayPal rate, include currency exchange fees, etc. I find the Ebay calculator helpful, because knowing what my items would cost to sell on Ebay helps me to better price my items for sale on forums such as Mu-43.com.

So here are links to the fee calculators:

Online PayPal Fee Calculator - Payment Processing Forum

eBay.com : Fee Calculator

• Like Like x 4
  2. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

0   0   0

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Paypal link gets blocked by my corporate network, warns about it being a known phishing site. Careful.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The form doesn't appear to require any personal information (e.g. PayPal login), so it looks pretty benign to me. I suspect that the phishing filter may just include any URL containing "paypal" that's not served by PayPal.com.

• Like Like x 1
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes. Before I retired, I worked in enterprise network security, and I can tell you that management required we block many legitimate sites simply because they wanted to make sure employees worked and didn't buy and sell stuff all day. :smile: DeeJayK's likely correct -- the phishing filter probably caught the "paypal" string and flagged it because the link goes to a non-PayPal location. Before I posted my message, I checked out the link's authenticity. It's not an official PayPal calculator. It's sponsored by PaymentProcessingForums.cc. My apologies for not providing this fact in my original post.

Nevertheless, it's good to be cautious, as identity theft is a very real concern.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Very handy calculator. Especially since you don't have to go digging through Paypal's convoluted agreements to figure out the net cost.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Awesome! Thanks much for sharing :)

• Like Like x 1