Pricing for Voigtlander 10.5mm announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by tkbslc, Apr 2, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    back in 2009 I jokingly wrote that a G1 Panasonic kit (with zoom)was about €1100 / Kg (as is normal to display on prices in the supermarkets to give you the price per Kg) and a 5DMkii (with 24-105) was about €1900/Kg. This little guy slots into the higher price range of €1700/Kg

3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I am very interested in this lens, and am wondering how it will perform optically...

4. tkbslc

I would have rather have it be half as fast for half the price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I imagine there will be such options at some point, with AF to boot. I don't know much about lens design, but how different is what you describe from the 12mm f/2? Just 1.5mm - how much of a difference does that make at those angles?

This lens seems to be specialized for specific uses (mainly astrophotography). As one who has never done astrophotography nor used any of these f/.95 Voightlanders, however, my apprehension is how well such an extreme lens would do that job with an EM-1.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the f/0.95 Voigtlanders are popular for video - they are fast, all have a similar look, and the newer versions all feature a dual-mode click/click-less aperture ring. They are not known for supreme optical quality wide open, however. Coma especially, is a horrible thing when it comes to star fields. By the time you stop down a f/0.95 Voigtlander to get good technical performance in this respect, it's quite possible that an f/2.8 UWA lens from the likes of Kowa, Samyang, or the upcoming Olympus pro would do just as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    It's about the same difference as between 28mm and 35mm. Most people don't have both...and most people have a preference between one and the other.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. tkbslc

When buying a lens specifically to go very wide, an extra 10% angle of view is a big deal. It's the main reason one is shopping for the lens! And while the difference is fairly small, you could take that logic all the way from 10.5 to 20mm if you wanted. The steps between the 10.5, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20 are all very small.

Since I'm making up lenses, anyway, I'll take a 9mm f2.0 for $600 please. :)

9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Maybe. But Lenstip's reviews suggest that stopped down the Voigtlanders are competitive with only the sharpest of μ43 lenses. Until the 75mm, I think, the CV25 was the sharpest lens for the mount.

10. tkbslc

Sometimes with these more "extreme" lenses, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just straddle another system.

Say you have a use for a fast ultrawide. You could buy this lens for $1250 and mount it to your existing m4/3 camera. Or you could buy a used Sony/Fuji and a Samyang 12mm f2 for maybe $800. The Samyang would be wider. And while not as fast, it is likely the Voigtlander will need f2 to be sharp (if the other lenses are any indicator).

Not to stray too far off topic, but I sometimes wonder the same for lenses like the the 42.5mm f1.2. $1600 for that lens. Or you get an entry level FF DSLR and a 85mm f1.8 for about the same price. The 42.5mm is remarkably good, but so is a FF lens stopped down to f2.4 and it still lets you go to f0.9 m4/3 DOF equivalent if you want super bokeh powers.

I like having the options, I just am not always sure how much sense they make. Of course being able to throw a single medium sized lens in the bag vs a second camera+lens has advantages, too.

Just rambling on and thinking out loud.....

11. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Good musing. If you still want small (andcan survive slow AF) then:

Used A7: $850
    Contax G 90mm f/2.8: $200
    Techart AF adapter: $300
    Total: $1350

Or, if you don't care about size as much, then you can go much cheaper:
    Canon 5D Classic: $400
    Canon 85mm f/1.8: $300
    Total: $700

In the case of the lens in question, the Voigtlander 10.5mm, a 5Dc with a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 would do the trick for less than $900.

12. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    That's why I never considered the 17mm f/1.8, as I had the 12. The 17 seemed too close to the 12.

I do imagine someone will come out with a lens like a 9mm f2 at some point. Most people would have more uses for that than the Voightlander.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  13. tkbslc

I don't know, the Sigma 20mm is pretty bad optically and with the 5Dc capping out at a noisy ISO 3200, you might be better off with an m4/3 camera for low light.

14. tkbslc

The difference between 12 and 17 is quite massive actually. Greater than the difference between 200 and 300mm.

10 vs 15mm (A 50% change) is similar to 50 and 75mm (50% change) or 200 and 300mm (50% change).

10.5 and 12 are close (14%), but still relatively far. And remember, on the wide end, you can't crop to make up the difference. Cropping a 10.5 to 12mm is trivial. But you'll have to shoot a panorama to go the other way.

15. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Plus (not to start the whole equivalency thing again), the aperture equivalence only pertains to bokeh, which for my purposes would be irrelevant.

16. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I, too, though, am thinking that in buying a fast UWA lens for astrophotography, I'd be better served going with my Canon 7d II. I'm reluctant to do it because I'm not all that interested in building a whole kit around the Canon. But, I would be able to hold the shutter button open longer because of the reduced crop factor, and noise performance is about 1 stop better in my estimation. The Voightlander was of interest because I speculated that the f.95 aperture would compensate for all of those m4/3 disadvantages - if it produced good images wide open.

17. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well...my 5Dc was better at high ISO than my E-M5 as long as you didn't push the files too much--i.e. less noise, but also less DR. If you hit the exposure just right, you'd get an awesome image; miss and the file was a loss. Still, I'm just throwing out the options. That's all.

The higher quality option would probably be:

Used D700 = $650
    Used Nikon 20mm f/1.8G = $700
    Total: $1350.

That's more than the Voigtlander, but the quality difference would be huge, but so would the size/weight difference.
    Fair enough. What is your purpose? Maybe I can suggest something.

18. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
  19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thirteen lens elements in ten groups : twelve more than the bodycap 9mm!
    I'll stick with my 9-18mm zoom and hope f7.1 does me for cats in coalmines.

What situation would require 10mm at F0.95??

20. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I don't think there are many situations that require such extremes, but astrophotography (Without star trails) is one this lens seems tailor-made for.