Pricing for Epl3 Epm...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Jul 11, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Looks like roughly $599 and $499, respectively (see Getting harder to keep my E-P3 pre-order active! That $300 spread is quite disturbing. :eek:
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Wholeheartedly agree, though I might get both and compare.

The problem is the EP3 comes out first, and I'm dying to try the new fast AF. The EP3 does seem $50 if not $100 too high (even in a kit).
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    So you're saying

e-P3 $900
    e-pL3 $600
    e-pM $500

I can see the e-P3 sitting on shelves for some time ... because at such a high starting price there isn't much possibility of huge discounts next year. Look at the e-P2&VF-2 prices : didn't come down too far, unlike tons of good deals on the e-P1 & e-pL1.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    $600 for the E-P3? Doesn't that put is at the same price as the G3? If so, that's an interesting move by Olympus. I would have thought it would come in a bit less due to the lack of EVF. Not that it is a lesser camera but the lack of EVF (and flash) could be perceived by the general public as having less capability than it's competition.
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I agree, this prices are just too high.
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Nobody's saying that.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I'm interested to see what will happen to current stock - it seems to me that not only do Olympus have plenty of E-pl2s to sell, they are even still strongly marketing their E-pl1 stock. As recently as father's day here in the US they sent an email with the e-pl1 featured, and just this past week, while they were doing a demo of the e-p3 at national camera, a local store, they had not the e-pl2 but the e-pl1 discounted/featured at a price of $449.

Unless the AF in the new Oly cameras is virtually a must-have compared to the G3 (which I have on order), I am either going to stick with my e-p2 or upgrade that to an e-pl2.

The prices mentioned above of $600 for the pl3 and $500 for the pm1 seem about right given their pricing history to me. If anything the PM1 is more attractive at that price than the PL3 is at $600.
  8. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    It's sill a rumor though, E-P3 is $899 but £799...
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    oops typo...I MEANT EP-L3
  10. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011

EP3: $900 for a touch-screen OLED, dual control dials, a few more buttons, interchangeable grips, metal body
    EPL3: $600 for a tilt-screen LCD and 5fps

Tough call. I have an EP3 on pre-order, but if I don't end up liking the touch screen as much as I think I will, I might return it for an EPL3. The tilt screen would be handy for landscape and macro, and for the cost difference I could add a VF-2.
  11. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    The E-PL3 seems to be the one I'll eventually go for. I like the tilt screen (can it tilt the screen down, so I can shoot from over my head?) and the lack of flash isn't a huge deal considering they are including an add-on flash with it.

Keep in mind that the 5 fps shutter speed is only with IS off. With IS on it becomes 4 fps.
  12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    McLaren - yes, from the photos on the E-PL3 page of the Olympus web site it looks like the PL3 screen also tilts down close to 45 degrees. See the link here and click the product views button--one of the photos shows the downward angled screen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    And to quote from the text on that page...

This bright, 460k dot high-resolution screen tilts up and down (from 80 degrees up to 45 degrees) to capture moments from a variety of angles. "
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks, I didn't see that, I was just going off of the dpreview preview of it. Seeing that it tilts both ways, that's sufficient for most of my needs. Very rarely do I need to swivel the screen to the left, and I'm not much into self-portraits so I never need to turn it around completely.

Looks like the E-PL3 will be the next one on the list. Might just keep my VF-2 afterall.