1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Price policing the "other direction"? (or can I ask if a price is too low?)

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by AnttiV, Jun 10, 2012.

1. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    I know and understand (and wholly approve) the rules for the marketplace and that price policing isn't allowed (which is a good thing).

But, is it considered price policing if, (I quote the rules post):

I make a post saying that but instead of thinking it's too high I think it's too low and was a mistake?

For example, if someone was selling a Panny 45-200mm lens for 80.

"I just want to check with you if the price is really 80?"

Because, if that happens, I'd be almost sure it's a mistake and the price should've been 180. (if the listing doesn't explain other details, like broken lens of course.)

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Why not just PM the seller? Avoids any controversy re motive for your post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Agree. If it is ANYTHING to do with the price, it's a good rule to just PM them. If they wish to clarify it in their thread, they will do so afterwards.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Probably sound advice, I got reprimanded for stating that I felt bad that someone was paying over retail for a used silver OMD. Ignorance is bliss, so don't publicly comment and all is well.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    PM the person if you need to clarify

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's very important to realize you don't know other peoples situations. Someone might have overpaid, and is hoping to get their money back, or has medical bills and hoping for the best.

Others might have spent a LOT of time to get something and hope to get their costs back from their time.

In general on the buy side, it should always be caveat emptor.

If you feel something is overpriced vis a vis some special promo elsewhere, there are plenty of threads in the regular forums talking about great deals. You can always post one there.

On this forum especially, posters are generally individuals trying to resell, and not done nameless con man, so give them the benefit of the doubt and send a PM, but also be ready to realize that person might overvalue their gear. That's OK. Buyers won't buy it, and in general things that start out over priced often end up selling for LESS than if they were priced right to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes. Also quoting from our Buy and Sell rules:

Now it's tricky, because a very low price can be a tipoff to a scam, especially if the person lists about 60 Canon and Nikon cameras for half their usual cost in a single listing :biggrin:. If you really think it's a suspicious listing, you are allowed to say so in the thread as per the Buy and Sell rules (eg, you can post "Buyer beware, the seller has no feedback and this looks too good to be true"), but unless you strongly suspect a scam, the price policing rule takes precedence and all price discussion belongs in PM.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You're a great member, and I wish you didn't feel that you were reprimanded. A reprimand is a severe rebuke, and I certainly didn't say anything severe. I politely explained to you in private (without calling you out in the forum in any way) why I had to delete your post, which is something I take no pleasure in doing (deleting posts and PMing members with an explanation is no fun for me), and I went a step further by adding a clarifying example to our rules so that the issue you raised would be clearer for everyone in the future.

We have a very active Buy & Sell board, and I wish I never had to delete anything, but the rules are needed to keep the board running well for our members, and we do our best both to be consistent in enforcing the rules and respectful to our members.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dgt8301

dgt8301 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    As someone still quite new to this place, and consequently still a reluctant poster (but avid reader), I am nevertheless moved to mention how astonishingly civilized the conversation here seems -- even on the most delicate, feelings-could-get-hurt subjects like this -- compared to . . . pretty much everywhere else in the modern universe. Not sure how you all manage this magic trick. But hats off to you for it, Amin & Co.

Not directly pertinent to the conversation at hand, I know. Couldn't help myself. Sorry.

• Like Like x 3
  10. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    Thanks. I somehow missed that.

I do hope though that discussing the shipping costs is excluded from that rule. Or at least asking about them. Otherwise I seem to been in a deep one :)

11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Shipping costs, PayPal fees, taxes, etc. all should be required in the seller's listing IMHO. Otherwise, potential buyer doesn't know final cost. So if they're not mentioned, would seem to be a legitimate basis for inquiry...

Amin?

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I think that is a separate issue, but still something probably better addressed in private. For instance, if I were to ship something to you in Europe, my only option to ship is USPS Express mail - to explain why within the for sale thread would probably come off a little harsh and long winded (for me on a basic level it is overall cost/value/tracking/delivery confirmation and insurance). I can break it down much more detailed and direct you to check for yourself, but I don't want to do that in the thread itself - it isn't pertinent to the listing. If you'r at the point where you are seriously considering buying something from a seller, send them a message, and simply post in the thread that a PM has been sent (with questions about x,y,z). Then, if you still feel it is too much it is your choice to move on to another seller to transact with.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    We don't have a specific rule about it, but I agree that a seller should have that info in the listing. We also don't have a rule about whether a buyer can ask that in the thread if the seller doesn't have the info there, and I agree that it's reasonable to ask in the thread.

If we make a rule about everything that we think should happen, it will have a couple undesirable effects: 1) We'll be perceived as being too controlling; and 2) There will be a lot more cases where we have to moderate.

So about those two issues, we'll leave it up to everyone's discretion. So far that has been working pretty well I think.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree, but if you know the price of shipping within the US, you can always say something like "Price includes USPS Priority within the continental US, $10 extra to Canada, willing to ship to Europe (PM for pricing). Or at a minimum you could say "Price is X plus shipping". Otherwise if shipping isn't even mentioned, virtually everyone interested in buying is going to wonder whether the price includes shipping.

Again, these are just my suggestions...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If you're suspicious that a price is too low, it's best to contact me so that I can buy it out from underneath you. A lot of times I see things priced at or slightly below market used price and they sit around for quite awhile. Sometimes it's best to price it a bit too low and clear it out right away. Some members don;t feel like watching their listing and responding to a bunch of different messages and price it to move. Factor in price + user history.

If you think it's too low and you want it, I'd suggest you send a message that says I'll take it and then ask for an invoice through Paypal. If the numbers match, you're golden!

• Like Like x 2
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Any public comments about price, good or bad, have no place imo. Even "great deal" posts, which seem harmless, may not be.

It is way easier to handle pricing discussions through PM than always wonder if a specific pricing comment is OK to post.

• Like Like x 1