Price Points of Cameras......

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by D7k1, Nov 9, 2017.

1. <= $1000

32 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. 1000 - 1500

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. >1500 <2000

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. >2000

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    2.5 years ago when I changed systems $1200 was my maximum price for a m43 system. When I retired I made sure that I had a budget of $1800 a year for equipment (even bought a second off the road vehicle). But it was just something about spending more than $1200 for a camera that I would only use for a couple of years.

But 2 years into using my Gx8 cameras I realized that they might be good enough for everything I do for a long time. Then I sold my EP5 travel camera this year and got a Gx85 when B&H has a good price as well as charger and extra battery sale.

Now the G9/Em1 II as well as the Gh5 (I do not need that level of Video capability) that are getting up to where you can get a FF (but for me the lens system of m43 Physical sized lenses are still the reason I will always use m43).

My Gut Limit is now in that $1700/$1800 and $2000 is my "no mans land" area.

What is your limit on what you can/will spend on a camera body?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The most I have spent is $1600 for a refurbished EM1 ii. Whether or not I would spend more is an interesting question. $3000 is too much, but the actual limit is in between.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    $2500 is about my limit. My sweet spot is about the cost of a a PEN-F $1300 or below. In some years when I give up the photo business, I'm sure my ceiling will be lower, then again my gear needs will be a lot lower as well.

4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    For me it's more of a slider. Does X camera meet my requirements for it's current price? Are there too many enhancements that I won't likely use that are increasing that price? The G9, GH5, and EM1ii all look to be an amazing cameras, but I'll likely pass on them. But honestly, if the G9 had been a GX body with the same tech minus a few things for size limitations... I'd have bought it, even at the same price tag.

In terms of tiers of bodies, I feel the G9 and EM1ii are more spec'ed for high speed shooters (wildlife, action, etc) and that I don't really need nor want 20-80 frame per second burst modes, and the GH5 is way more video than I'll currently ever be able to do justice for. What I'm really hopping for is that the Pen-F ii, EM5iii, and GX9 will be have most of the specs I need/want, but will be in a smaller package. In the past these bodies have, for my needs, offered the best of blend of price vs size/weight vs value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It's been 3 years and ~$2400 that I have spent on photography gear since I bought into mft. I don't foresee spending over $1000 on a body in the cards for me.

Unless someone wants to be my patron and support my mediocrity. I'm taking applications...

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    @TNcasual@TNcasual oh... a Patron is a good idea, I've just been on the lookout for a single and attractive doctor/layer who would let me a be a house-husband.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Nice Freudian slip there.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My limit is in the neighborhood of $1500 - $1600 USD, basically $2K CDN. The E-M1 Mk.2 is well over that limit right now so I'll happily keep shooting my E-M1 Mk.1. I know the new Lumix G9 body will drive the price down on the E-M1 Mk.2 somewhat, but I'll wait until the Oly's in less rarefied pricing as a single item purchase. Lens bundles don't do anything for me because I already have pretty much everything I need, stupid gear lust aside.

9. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Lol, I was going to go back and edit it... but I think it's better this way.

10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I am cheap and midgrade models do what I need.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    For fun and entertainment (m4/3 and my X70)? $750
    For work (I bought my D800 and D750 new)? $3000 would probably be my limit.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am just a hobbyist. I prefer to spend $400s on a body. I wait for new releases that are on my level (e.g. GX85) to drop into the $400s before I buy. I did (still do) have an a7 and have owned a 6D before, but I don't do much anymore that warrants it, and on the occasion it's needed, I can rent them for less hassle than buying and reselling.

13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'm not rich and I only shoot for my own pleasure --> $1000 is my limit. For me a camera must be pretty darn perfect to spend over $1000 on it. GH5 isn't. E-M1II isn't. G9 isn't. E-M5II isn't. Funnily though I'd be willing to spend extra $200 for a model that has the older tilt screen instead of the swivel one.

The model I'm waiting for is E-M5III but I know it will lack a usable tilt screen and usable AF-C and still cost >$1500 which means I'm better off with my old E-M5.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Even if I had more disposable income, I just don't see enough differences between a $300 body and a $1,500 body. Sure, you can give me a bullet-point list of all the improvements. But honestly, MY PHOTOS look the same whatever camera body I am using.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Interesting question. I have never spent more than $1000 on a camera body. I am more willing to spend on a lens than I am a body, but it’s hard for me to spend more than $1000 on a lens either. So, I am often one generation or more behind on cameras and I often buy them used. And I don’t switch bodies often either. Having said that, sometimes I suprise myself and spend way more than I thought I ever would. I spent more than twice as much on my last motorcycle than I ever had before. I’m still a bit shocked by how much I spent, honestly. So who knows, maybe one day I’ll spend $2000 on a camera body.

16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The most I've spent on a camera was $1800 for an E-M1 II when they ran the first "trade-in, trade-up" promotion. But I also sold an E-M1 II for $500, so my cost was more along the lines of $1,300. I also bought a D500 for $1,500.

But getting back to your post @D7k1@D7k1, if the GX8's & GX85 are good enough for you, why bother worrying what the pricing of the flagship cameras are? You're not in a situation where you need the performance those cameras deliver, but can't afford them. You've found cameras that do what you need them to do, and fit your budget, so the pricing of the flagship cameras is really out of scope.

I honestly laugh at the those who say "m43 is getting too expense", as they seemingly forget about cameras like the G85, GX85, E-M10 II. Those are all great cameras, and very affordable. To those who say that we're getting in to FF territory, show me a FF camera for $1,700 that has a viewfinder the size of the G9's, can shoot 20fps with continuous AF, and can shoot 4K60p video. There's a FF camera out there that can do it. It's the Canon 1DX II, and it costs $5,700. The A7R III is also very good, but it costs $3,700. Now you could go buy a 3-year-old D750 for $1,800, or a 6D II for $2,000, but you're not going to get anywhere near the same performance you get with the G9/E-M1 II when shooting in burst mode or when shooting video.

I don't run around screaming everytime BMW releases a new M3 saying "Oh my God, the M3 costs $64,000, cars are getting too expensive!", because you're using a flagship product as a representative proxy for all other products, and that's simply not true. Not everybody needs a BMW M3, just like how not everybody needs a G9 or E-M1 II. There are plenty of other great cameras out there that fall within everybody's budget. No need to play chicken-little and run around yelling that the sky is falling...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Bought a Sony RX1 for $1500 2 years ago (my max for a camera). Otherwise my purchases were $800 0r less

18. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The only body I've yet bought is my GX7, which cost 750€ with the 20mm. I bought it right around the time the GX8 was announced and I had already been lusting after it for a significant amount of time, so once I landed my first job, I went for the camera.

Upgrading has been and will be a much more difficult decision. I would in the future like a weather sealed body. I would also like things like improved IBIS and Hi Rez has been fascinating me since it was first announced by Olympus.

But I also know that a weather sealed body is going to do little for the quality of my images. The IBIS might make my telephoto work a lot easier and the results sharper, but it is already very solidly in the good enough state.

1000€ is a lot of money to spend on marginal improvements. The GX8 is now in a price region where I can maybe justify the upgrade. But it is still lacking in the IBIS department (which would maybe require another update, burning money) and Hi Rez is obviously not there either.

The GX9 (if it ever comes out) will be at least 1300. It will take a while until it drops far enough in price for me to consider. Maybe I should just stick to what's working for me and get a drone!

19. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    The lack of inbuilt flash is what stops me from buying the GH5 or the G9, not the price. I use that flash on my G80 to trigger the wireless flashes. I don't fancy the idea of having to change my flash guns, or have to carry about yet one more flash to stick on the new camera. That's extra expense. My GX8 hasn't got an inbuilt flash either, so I carry a FM-LM3 for emergency. But that won't work on the G9. Funding itself is not a big issue. I tend to put away around £100 in a slush fund every month to cover me against any severe GAS attack, birthday presents, or Christmas treats. I don't spend above whatever is left in the account.

20. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

At ProFusion the other day they had the em5mii selling at $750 (all prices quoted here are Cdn$)... which is about $100 less than I paid a year ago when I got into mu43... Back then I had been waiting for the release of the em1mii and had been assuming it would be coming in at a price point similar to the em1mi (less than $2K)... my choice was easily made for the em5mii when it came in at $2.5K... so that when tax was included on the em1mii it would have pushed closer to $2.9k... and well beyond my hoped for $2k limit for a body. Two years prior I had taken the dive back into photography with a barely used D700 (<900 shutter count) with three kit lens (50/1.8, 24-80 and 70-300), an SB800 flash and several other accessories for around $2200... so that kind of became my threshold.

At ProFusion on Wednesday you can't believe how tempted i was by the $1999 listing on the em1mii... that when combined with the tax savings on the $500 differential would have been a whopping $600 off! As I posted in the GAS thread it was only a long lineup and having go dash to make a ride (car pool) ride home that kept me from succumbing to my burning desire for the emkmii.

Is the em5mii a great little camera? ... you bet... and would a second one have been a good, affordable 2nd body for me at this time? ... probably... but I've been altogether too impressed with the low light and birding photos here at mu-43.com to keep from inevitably picking up the em1mii... and the 300/4 Pro (that was also on sale)... and the 17/1.2... threshold?? what threshold!