Price of used gear?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by salvatore64, Aug 5, 2013.

1. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    Like most of us I hate having to take a loss when selling off gear or anything for example a car etc. although I totally understand why this happens so that's not the point of this thread. What I don't understand is why someone would buy a used OMD for example for 800 or 900+ dollars from a private seller when one can be picked up refurbed or factory demo for $750 or 929 with 12-50 from cameta . I hope no one in the buy or sell gets mad at me for this, I just want to know why someone would choose paying more for something used rather then less for something for all intensive purposes new, with warranty? And if not how does the seller justify it. To me it's like trying to sell a car with a few miles on it for more money then a dealer selling the same car.....

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Buyers don't know any better? in other words, they didn't know that refurbs exist....

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    They're going for more like $600-650 for the bodies now.

4. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I can speak for myself: Cameta charges tax in NY, so $750 and $929 turns into $820 and $1000+ for me! Also, resell value for refurbs are usually less.

Anyway, don't worry too much about it, this is free market and price will adjust.

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    So don't buy it from Cameta. There is another seller on ebay: pvt4545 who is an authorized seller of Olympus refurbs. Last week he was selling a bunch of OM-D refurbs for $750 INCLUDING the 14-42 IIR kit lens. His listing ended, but he re-lists stuff all the time.

BTW, I previously bought from him an E-PL2 with kit lens for $170 that was indistinguishable from brand new, and had the same Oly 90 day warranty that Cameta's refurbs have. I have no problem recommending him. I also buy refurbs from Cameta - but Cameta is NOT the only game in town for Olympus refurb products.

6. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah that's was a failed attempt of humor on my part with the tax, I can't imagine cameta being the only one selling oly refurbs :p

7. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    I'm sorry I wasn't trying to promote cameta as the only other option. It's just one place I know of without doing any other search. 650 wow. It makes me want to sell mine for 900 and buy another for 650! But that's the point I was trying to make. How can you ask 900 in the first place.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I haven't seen an OM-D go for $800 in quite a while. More like $650 or thereabouts.