Price falls for M4/3 fisheyes - Jan 2020

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
The most cost-effective solution for ultrawide perspectives with M4/3 cameras are either....
  • put the camera vertical with your standard zoom at wide and stitch together 3-5 images overlapped by 33%
    • this costs nothing with the excellent "Panorama Stitcher Mini" programme (for OSX get it from the Apple Store)
  • get a generic make full-view fisheye

All ultrawide lens options have to stretch the corners of the image to make a rectilinear final picture. This will always lead to reduced resolution and contrast in the corners - that is just physics.
  • doing this in-lens requires very complex lens designs to overcome distortion and chromatic aberration. As a result these lenses are big and heavy and expensive - because of all those high density and aspheric glass elements needed to distort the light paths. Think of the prices for those lovely ultrawides from Lowa, Panasonic and Olympus.
    • Even then, whatever the cost, they all have some barrel distortion that needs fixing in post process.
  • fisheyes are ultrawides. Due to their design they have inherently very low CA and can be made smaller - and can be made to good IQ with cheaper basic glass lens elements.
    • But of course they have distortion that needs correcting in post process.
If you hesitated to try a native M4/3 ultrawide fisheye - then perhaps the latest price falls might make you reconsider: for I was startled to see the Cheecar manufactured 7.5mm F2.8 lens (sold under multiple generic "brand names") on sale now for <£70 GBP / $85 USD with postage paid. The distortion is fixed perfectly in just 3 clicks with DXO. Quality is certainly "good enough" for cost-concious M4/3 users.

I have no financial interest in this - just an interest in making creative photography as inclusive as possible !
Here is a clip from a well known on-line seller that might just tempt you to break your "Say No To GAS in 2020" new year resolution !
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 11.32.46.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here are the lens spec's for you to compare with other "brands" of the same lens on sale from China.

577e664fe69b275572bc1747b5d9d09b.png

For the curious - the "7-Artisans F2.8 7.5mm 180-degree fisheye with M4/3 mount is also an 11 element multicoated lens that is described as 63mm long. Perhaps --- the two could be related?

Best wishes to you all - Paul C in the UK

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
This lens is sold under a few different names.
Do an AliExpress search, and you'll find it in maybe five different incarnations. They all look the same externally, and state the same specs.

I've got the 7artisans. And I'm pleased.

Thanks/Erik

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
I've got the 7artisans. And I'm pleased.
Me too - it is mechanically great, has wonderful close focus and distortion correction using DXO is very simple. The image quality is perfect for my uses - HD computer screens and prints up to 10x8.

If you haven't got a "horizon-level line" in your EVF, then also invest in one of those hot-shoe spirit levels; it is way easier to de-fish the image if the horizon line is level !

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
If you haven't got a "horizon-level line" in your EVF, then also invest in one of those hot-shoe spirit levels; it is way easier to de-fish the image if the horizon line is level !
No EVF on M4/3, but a small level. Have them on all of my cameras, on account of buying 50 pieces cheaply from the Chinese. Don't really use them as anything else as hot shoe protection, though.

20200217_000342-01.jpeg

I'm the kind of guy that like to point my fish eyes hither and yon, with no real intentions as to defishing anything... 🙃

Also have to admit that the picture is staged.
I borrowed the level off my NX-300 for this picture.
I still have the original Olympus hot shoe protector, which normally lives in the E-PL1 hot shoe. 📷

Thanks/Erik

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom