1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Price drop on EM-1.ii?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ektar, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser

Nov 16, 2010
    The E-M5 mk2 is now 4 years old model. On release it was around 1100 € and today it is 799-899 €. I've had mine for almost 3 years and if I remember right I paid 899 for it back then so there has been almost no price drop for that model during last 3 years. Since E-M1X is not replacing E-M1 mk2 I don't see a reason why Olympus would reduce its prices much. E-M5 mk3 will probably be 1100-1200 € new. So the next model up will be at least 300-400 more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 15, 2009
    New Zealand

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Southern California
    If Olympus was looking for an ideal time to do a price drop, it would have been during the holiday season. As it was, the price drop on the G9 before Christmas (along with the combination discount on a few PL lenses) caused me to get the Panasonic instead. So I would be very surprised if Olympus dropped the price of the EM1.2 anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I recently picked a s/h copy from a local seller at a great price, but have noted online that the price has dropped a fair bit of late for new units.
    Here is a massdrop thread, asking $1199 US:

E-M1.2 International Spec for $1199.99

I consider that a very good price.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rather than dropping the price they have had cash (visa card) bonuses instead.

6. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Panasonic also had a cash back scheme going recently!
    £200 for a G9, and more if bought with a PL 12-60mm.

7. Ken C

Ken C Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Oly em 2 is a power packed camera filled with more features than one knows what to do with. But if I'm shooting moving cars, cycles, birds it just can't compete. Oly marketed this camera with high expectations regarding its hyped c-af----never happened---even with firmware update. Ya need the right tool for the right job. When I'm shooting BIF I expect 80 to 90 % keepers. My d500 gives me that.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

Mar 21, 2014
    For what it's worth...

Are you most interested in keeper rate, or total number of keepers? Because the E-M1 II shoots at nearly twice the fps compared to the D500. So even if the E-M1 II is only at 60-70% keeper rate, it will give you 11-13 keepers per second, whereas the D500 would only be 8-9.

Obviously, it's more work culling the images afterwards if you take more, so if an easier workflow is your main priority, that's a justifiable reason.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ken C

Aug 15, 2018
    Keeper rate is important--more important missing a shot you regret. Why take a chance when I feel more competent using my d500. Oly has its place --just not great for AF Tracking. What good is fps if most of them are oof and blurry.

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Legend

Mar 21, 2014
    My point is that you would get more keepers with the E-M1 II, because the AF tracking is only slightly worse than the D500, but the frame rate is 18 fps instead of 10 fps...

In other words, you are more likely to get that all important shot with the E-M1 II. Especially when you consider Pro Capture, letting you get shots from before you pressed the shutter..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Ken C

Aug 15, 2018
    My point is that you would get more keepers with the E-M1 II, because the AF tracking is only slightly worse than the D500. Slightly worse---ya gotta be kidding me. I didn't buy my d500 because it was slightly better than an Oly-----its leaps and bounds better. Even nikons new z series can't compete for c-af when put up next to my d500 and the z's are around 3k. Why would I buy a oly 2 or Nikon z if it was slightly worse at C-af. When I press my shutter I want great results ---not a hit and miss situation. I love my Oly's cams and glass ----but not for shooting moving objects at a high rate of speed. Just bought a 45 1.2 oly lens and my nikon can't touch it----like I said right tool for right job.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2015
    California, USA
    Basic economic question. Is everyone here that is asking about if the prices are going to come down going to buy an em1.2 if it comes down in price?

If the answer is no, then why should they lower the price? They price at what the market "can bear". If people are still buying the camera at $1800 then why reduce it?

To answer the OP, it really depends on how much of the market segment of the em1.2 they they think they are cannibalizing with the target audience for the new camera. Are they pushing the em1.2 from "pro" to "prosumer", or just creating two "pro" cameras? If they are pushing the em1.2 to prosumer, then a price drop may be there, or if they are expecting to replace the em1.2 with the new camera (doesn't seem likely with what we've seen advertised).

In canon terms, does the release of a new Canon 5d (pro) create a discount on the existing 6d (prosumer)?

If you are debating picking up an em1.2, I would suggest grabbing a used one, as there is an active market for them and they can be purchased easily. :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The 18fps is with the electronic shutter only though, correct? I'm not certain how rolling shutter may affect images when panning for things like BIF. With the mechanical shutter, the E-M1 II shoots at 10fps just like the D500.

Personally, while FPS is important, I prefer a better keeper rate the majority of the time. The last race I shot, I actually took the frame rate DOWN from 10fps to 6 or 7fps (can't remember which one) because I didn't want to cull through all of the images shot at 10fps. To nearly double that by shooting at 18fps would be a nightmare for me in terms of time spent culling.

Having said that, sometimes its better to have a feature and not use it, than need it and not have it. The 60fps fully electronic shutter does have its applications depending on the user. I just wasn't one of them.

14. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Veteran

I have never shot with a D500, but I have shot quite a bit with the EM1 MK II. The truth is that I rarely use the CAF + TR because I have a difficult time locking onto the target. I have recently calibrated my lenses and have attained some decent clarity and detail using CAF. I will try very hard to improve my skills at CAF and CAF + TR, but I concede that the D500 is probably better at shooting birds in flight. I only shoot Olympus, and I am going to give it my darnedest; but to say that I haven't considered switching would be a lie. No matter what your frame rate, your target acquisition rate is what counts. Once again, I am working on improving my skills; but it's no easy task. If I can't get a lock, a can rack up a ton of blurry photos very quickly. My father told me that it's a poor craftsman that blames their tools. I love my EM1 MK II and it's a phenomenal camera when it comes to still subjects; that's why I haven't switched (along with other reasons). Frame rate, in my opinion, does not correlate to keeper rate as much as target acquisition speed and frequency. I am going to try to be laser-precise with my CAF to compensate for deficiencies, and I will experiment more with CAF + TR. I would love to say that the CAF of the EM1 MK II is great, but I haven't gotten there yet. For me, target acquisition and speed is the determining factor in keeper rates. IMO, the EM1 MK II is not stellar at acquiring targets in CAF + TR, but the CAF is bearable if you are very accurate with your focus placement. I am hoping that the new AF on the new system is leaps and bounds ahead of the EM1 MK II, and I will optimistically wait. If it is not stellar, I will think about things.

Each situation is different, and sometimes the targets present themselves ideally. If you miss that, lets say, sequence of shots, you miss; the opportunity is gone. If you acquire focus on a mediocre presentation; you may get a lot of in-focus shots, but they may not be "keepers". "Keepers" are not necessarily in-focus shots. For me, they're wall hangers. There's a difference between a good shot and a great shot.

With that being said, I do not expect a huge price drop on the EM1 MK II until the MKIII comes out. If you can pick up an EM1 MK II at about $1,200 USD, I think it's a good deal. You'll probably have to wait a bit for it to go under $1,000 USD. It's a really good camera.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  15. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    Basically, I agree with Ken but I still value the image quality of EM1.2 a lot, when I am able to keep the bird in the frame.
    30085513117_eee59e1612_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So, I would say EM1.2 for image quality and D500 for speed. Of course, that depends on the lens you use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    I don't get what all the huff and puff is over the E-M1 mkii, when the original E-M5 is all you need!

I'll go hide now...
    :hiding:

:laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Veteran

Yes; the IQ is great, but this isn't quite the keeper that yours is. ;) 
    P1131502.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Did the EM-1 Mark I ever sold under 1000U$ from an authorized dealer? I'd think the Mark II should follow a similar pattern, unless they're badly overstock when the Mark III comes out, which would surprise me.

19. gwydionjhr

gwydionjhr Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Joel
    I watched a video yesterday from a guy that shot a football game with Sony's new 400/2.8 lens. In one part he showed two frames where the lens went from infinity to tack sharp of the players filling the frame in less than 1/60th of a sec. And Oly's teaser videos are aimed specifically at sports shooting so far, and I'm guessing we're going to see some BIF teasers before the 24th as well. With new chips and more processing power there is ever reason to think this new gen of MILC are going to surpass DSLRs for autofocus technology.

As for overstock in the EM1mkII... entirely likely, Oly's own stock report says sales were down more than forecast, and production was certainly based on those same forecasts.

20. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i have a em1.2 and the new sony a7iii. people are correct u cant compare them they are different animals, i like the features on the oly but the image quality suffers at the expense of those features, on the a7iii they actually got rid of some features for the sake of image qaulity, the newer models dont have the play memories section to load apps and such any more, both cameras have thier place but i am in agreeance with lots of people on here, the oly was in my mind wayyyyyy over priced at launch, i bought it at launch and i feel at 2400 canadian for the body it was wayyyyy to much,
    it should have been around a 1500 canadian, price point, at 2400 i expected much more from it, yes firware has helped it but it took along time to get to that point and its better but my sony for the same price image wise blows it out of the water.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.