1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Price drop on EM-1.ii?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ektar, Jan 6, 2019.

1. ektar

ektar Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 8, 2017
    With the EM1X looming on the horizon, any rumors or guesses as to where the price will go on the Mk2?

2. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 10, 2016
    My guess would be around the $1200 mark, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's another year before it hits that mark. Fuji just marked down the XH1 with the battery grip to $1300. I'm sure it's temporary, but It would definitely make me think before dropping $1700 on an EM1.ii.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    My own guess is that a new E-M1 II will not get as low as $1200 this year. Maybe $1400 - that was the lowest on-sale price I saw last year for a new E-M1 II from an authorized seller (Staples). What I see limiting the price drop in the near term: attractive kit prices, a much higher E-M1X introductory price, global economic concerns, and the likelihood that a new E-M5 III (if we get one) will cost at least $1100 US. Maybe it's best to watch for brief holiday sales or buy a used/refurb. camera.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

While we've had some good discounts & a bonus from Olympus downunder, I feel it is only a limited time to benefit from such a saving though. A possible FW update will breath more life into the sales too.

5. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    It's two years old, sure feels like time that the price dips some with the X coming out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The E-M1X does not replace the E-M1 II so I don't see why it would lower its price.
    In fact it might stop it going down so that people who might get the E-M1X don't think the E-M1 II is such a good deal in comparison that they buy that instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Christop82

Sep 10, 2016
    A few reasons why I think olympus should lower it's price.
    XH1 w/ grip = $1299
    G9 = $1299
    XT3 = $1399
    A6500 = $1200
    A7ii = $1400
    E-M1ii = $1700

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MFTmaster

MFTmaster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    Michigan
    Rick V
    I paid $1799 for my EM1.2
    I just bought a used Pen-F for $700
    and I'm about to buy another EM1.2 for $1499

You left out some very important points bout the EM1.2 when considering why YOU Think the price should be lowered:
    Most of which is none of the cameras you have listed have any of the features of the EM1.2
    So let's compare apples to apples

The Best 5.5 IBS Ever
    60 FPS
    PRO CAPTURE
    LIVE COME
    LIVE TIME
    80 MPX High Res
    Fisheye Comp
    Keystone Comp
    Flicker Scan
    Tons of Filters
    Weather Proof
    Focus Stacking
    HDR (Auto Composite)
    In body Timelapse
    All types of bracketing
    Flippy screen
    Deep moddable Menus
    and the list goes on.........................

All of these 15 features (That I use every day) are not packed into any other cameras you have mentioned above

So sick of people comparing Olympus to any other camera on the market and then expecting them to lower the price

Do you have any idea what it takes to put ALL THESE FEATURES into ONE CAMERA
    If it was so easy don't you think all manufacturers would be adding these features
    I mean let's face it..........some of the manufactures you have listed have stolen the ideas that Olympus came up with first

So when you buy a used Chevy do you expect Ford and Chrysler to drop there prices
    Or do you look at the features of each vehicle and then justify why the price is a bit more IE: Power windows, Air conditioning, Navigation, Etc

OK.......Let me get this straight
    You want Olympus to lower the price of the most Feature Rich, Futuristic camera on the market EVER ??????

This makes me laugh so hard when I read posts like these....

YOU, keep thinking about what Olympus Should A, Would A, Could A

I'll keep buying From A futuristic Camera manufacture for whatever price they see fit
    and be very thankful that I'm in the era of a growing futuristic company

Best regards, Rick

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wow Wow x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Christop82

Sep 10, 2016
    That's amazing that you use all 15 of those features everyday. The Em1ii is definitely for you. I really don't devote the time that you do to this, but I'm sure each camera I have listed does a few of those things, as well as a few things the olympus can't.
    One thing I'm positive of is that any of those are just as capable of taking excellent images for less money.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ross the fiddler

From one extreme to the other. :p 
    Yeah, we know Rick likes & defends his Olympus brand gear, & I guess I do too but he does have a point though, even if a little enthusiastically so. :rolleyes: 

I know I am glad to have bought the E-M5 with what it brought to M4/3's (after having owned a few Olympus DSLRs), the E-M1 with PD-AF & now (in 2017) the E-M1 Mk II.
    As far as price drops, there is a general drop in price & also with a bonus HLD-9 battery grip from some, but over Christmas period there was also a 15% discount together with the summer bonus from Olympus (up to $400 visa cash card) & they are the best times to buy.
    The E-M1X would be a lovely camera but in reality wasted with me as it would be more than I really need as the E-M1 Mk II does most things I need very well & other functions as Rick mentions, I've hardly used to date, but glad to have them for the occasional use (or try).
    Also, if a rumoured FW update comes that is attractive for the E-M1 Mk II then that would help with sales without resorting to 'clearance' prices.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JohnJeffrey

JohnJeffrey Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 17, 2018
    I love my Pen-f! A new, enhanced, weather proof one would be my wish! :) 

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    I paid $2,998 for the E-M1 Mark II with the 12-100mm f/4 combo kit at B&H last year (Jan. 2018). The 12-100mm goes for $1,299 making the body $1,699 then. I think the body alone then sold for $1,999 on intro but don't recall.

My WAG would be the E-M1X could fall to around $2,500 in a years time. A lot will fall on it's reviews and acceptance.

Olympus should have had it ready for the CES show in Las Vegas to promote its tech so it could get some free ad time. A lot of pro photographers attend this event shooting for their vlogs. Big mistake, imho, as some shop buyers and owners who also attend that show may pass it over or drop the line entirely much like the San Jose, CA dealer did recently and kept the Panasonic and Fuji. They peddled the Olympus stuff cheap to get rid of it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  13. The Grumpy Snapper

The Grumpy Snapper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 9, 2017
    Shouldn't it drop to half the price it was at launch once the eMix is launched?

It will no longer be the PRO model so can be sold in single units rather than pairs.

• Sad Sad x 1
  14. RobPlum

RobPlum Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2018
    I just had to purchase new o-md e-m1 mkii and noted Olympus sets recommended retail price at AU$2779.00, previous camera that is dearly departed i paid AU$2544.00 for and just paid AU$1526.00 for the import replacement so i deduce Olympus has added AU$1000.00 onto its RRP to cover the Australian consumer protection laws and so I'm not very happy about that sought of conduct...the camera i have returned to Olympus Australia I paid $2544.00 for emmmm

15. Ken C

Ken C Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Rick--I have a couple of em 1's , em 5 , em1---great cameras and their lens a-1. Now if they could figure out how to AF on moving objects and birds more like my d500 I would consider an emII. It seems mirrorless just can't cut that aspect for tracking---even the new nikon z mirrorless is not up to it. Listen Oly has its place --but certainly not for af tracking. Cost of a d500 1798.00 to me its a bargain.

16. Ross the fiddler

You could have had it for (AU)$1999 with a bonus HLD-9 plus a $400 bonus cash visa card from Olympus & all would be with Australian warranty, but that was with the extended New Years Day deal.

17. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2013
    Singapore
    Dave
    Speaking as an Aussie living away from Oz atm, the recent Aussie deals that were on and off between Black Friday and NY’s were really good. They are nowhere near as good where I am atm.
    Keep an eye on the Hot Deals for Aussie Buyers thread. The friendly folks here are only too happy to share when a good deal comes along.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    I've come to the same conclusion.
    I'm keeping my D7200 for fast sports, where the EM1 just does not work.

19. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    My A7ii was 1k and my EM10ii was 1.4k, its euros not $, but either I was lucky (I waited for discounts in both cases) or the street prices are already at the point you wish.

20. Ross the fiddler

You can talk about the shortfall in the original E-M1 but the Mk II is better to start with & has also had noticeable improvements since the FW 2.0 update (now up to 2.2).
    Features added or improved through firmware version 2.0
    (Upgrade available: February 2018)

1. Pro Capture Mode is now more advanced.
      1. Maximum recordable images is increased to 35 frames.
      2. GUI during Pro Capture has been improved.
      3. Lens compatibility has been expanded.
    2. M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO now supports Focus Stacking.
    3. Small AF Target has been added to AF Target Mode (S-AF and C-AF).
    4. Magnification factor selection during image playback and actual pixel size display is now supported.
    5. New Art Filter Bleach Bypass has been added.
    6. In-body Fisheye Compensation has been added.
    7. Flicker Scan has been added for fine-tuning the shutter speed to reduce flicker effects.
    8. Other improved items:
      1. Continuous AF (C-AF) performance has been improved.
      2. AF operation responsiveness of back button focus using the AEL/AFL button has been improved.
      3. Image stabilisation performance has been improved for video recording.
      4. Responsiveness and stability has been improved for tethered shooting using Olympus Capture.
      5. Battery level display has been improved.
    9. LEICA DG ELMARIT 200/F2.8/POWER O.I.S.(H-ES200) interchangeable lens from Panasonic Inc. is now supported.

• Winner Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.