1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Price drop on E-M1 announced - $1299

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Speedliner, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Can only mean one thing...clearing out inventory before E-M1 mk2 announcement. Wouldn't surprise me if new e-m1 is announced with the new Pro lenses.

Could also mean that folks are buying the 5mk2 so often that the 1 needed to come down a bit, but I'm hoping the mk2 and new lenses are getting closer.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well it is about 18 months old at this point. Not surprising the price would have to come down a little.

Pentax, Samsung and Nikon have also released pretty nice cameras lately, so it is not just the E-M5 II they are competing against.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Still going to wait for the E-M1 Mk.II. I recall reading that someone in the Oly organization was quoted as saying the new E-M1 "is going to be a game changer."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Anyone think that the Em-1 MKii wiill be out this year or around this time next year?

5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I don't have any info to predict, but with the 300/f4 delayed to November, a joint release would get a lot of attention and be in time for the Holiday season.

Who knows...maybe the 300 was delayed to line up with the e-m1 mk2. [emoji4]

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Olympus has been on a 3-year cycle; unlikely to be this year.

Barry

7. tkbslc

The e-m1 is still class leading. Not sure why it would need such a quick upgrade, especially given the slowdown in camera sales globally.

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    The reason would be that th 5 mk2 is too much of an advance and the 1 is looking less appealing and losing out now, just as the 5 mk1 didn't compare well against the 10 when it came out. Can they afford for their flagship to not be far out front.

Pirating 5 mk2 sales wouldn't be the goal though. They need to blow way Fuji and Sony a7000, even make the A7 a hard choice.

We'll see. Would be nice to see a new e1m1 sooner rather than later.

9. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    It's pretty crazy how expensive the E-M1 still is outside of Asia.

For example, in Japan the E-M1 including the 12-40mm lens sells for ¥162,000, which is the equivalent of $1,361 USD. And this is shipped and sold by Amazon Japan with full domestic warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tkbslc

A lot of that comes from the exchange rate, though. The JPY has dropped about 20-25% vs the USD in the past 6 months. If the price was flat all year, it would appear to us in the US to be getting several hundred cheaper, even though the price stays the same in Japan.

Part of the problem is that they don't have a 12-40 kit here in the U.S. That would probably be $1800-ish. And that's on par with what 162,000 JPY would have cost in US dollars a year ago. (~$1700)

11. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    The price of the kit in Japan has actually dropped significantly (by over 1/4) since its release. The falling yen adds to that, so as a result there's a huge 50% price gap between the Japan price and the U.S. price (even taking into account the $200 bundle savings stateside).

I'm not so sure a kit would have been offered for $1800 either. When you compare the prices of kits that are offered in both Japan and the U.S., the price gulf remains high. For example, the E-P5/17mm/VF-4 kit now costs $1250 here, vs. ¥87,164 at Amazon Japan (=$732). Non-Asian markets are simply getting raked over the coals in pricing.

12. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Olympus OMD EM1 is still pretty expensive, and that's good and not so good.
    Good is obviously because price still remaines this is great camera, and good is for reason of users who already have it, because they can sell it, for a reasonable price.

On the other side, not good, for new clients or users in m43, because APS-C systems is so close to Olympus ( from Pentax and Fuji ), and in price terms maybe even better buy .( depends on what you want )

Yet, I love Olympus - and this is certainly best camera I used in such a small body.

I love this system, because size does matter. Smaller camera to me means I'm more in picture, and less in system, and that is always a good thing.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That someone (if you're referring to Simon, the leaker) also said they would release it next year but sooner if needed to better compete with other brand's offerings.

14. robertk328

robertk328 Going on a prime spree!

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    maybe that will bring the used/refurb prices down a bit, too... hmm...