1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Price crash for GH2!!Any guesses why?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As all of us know that GH2 prices have crashed recently . B&H had GH2 with 14-42 mm lens only for USD699 and even amazon, adorama are also offering almost same price for both kits. I am just wondering why is this happening ?
    Guess No.1 -- May be panny is keeping a secret from us and new Panasonic GH3 is just around the corner
    Guess No.2 - May be this camera was already over priced by USD 200-300 and now they are correcting themselves so that they can clear stock before launch of next GH series
    Guess No.3 - Santa Claus is interested in MFT format and requested Pany to lower price as a Xmas gift for us ..
    Now I won't guess any further ..
    Please have ur say ..lol
    :whoo:

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    They're clearing out the GH2 with the 14-42mm lens before introduction of the new kit with the 14-42 X (power zoom) lens.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But they're also heavily discounting the kit with the 14-140. And the GH2 doesn't seem like the best choice for the X lens, given that the body is pretty big to start with. That may be part of the reason, but I suspect the basic one is that after a long period of very tight supply, the camera is now widely available. Economics 101 would indicate that once the initial demand has been met, and supply continues to increase, prices will fall.

Then there's the pretty universal truth that the unit price of electronic devices falls over time, as R&D costs are amortized. It costs little more to make 100,000 electronic components than to make 10,000. Actual production costs are tiny compared to the costs of designing the item, doing the lithography to create it, and the equipment to manufacture it.

The economy is weak, they've got a lot of product to move, they want to take advantage of Sony's manufacturing problems to lock people into m43 before the new NEX bodies are widely available. All of these and more could be factors.

Finally, Panny may be trying to clear out stocks for a GH3 to be introduced "soon."

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Guess No.4 - they heard that you were running out of things to post on this forum, so they had to give you new material.

:rofl: I crack myself up sometimes.

Seriously, Panny bodies appear to drop in price rather quickly. No surprise. No conspiracy.

• Like Like x 3
  5. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I find this highly unlikely... My sources indicate that the GH3 will be announced shortly before Photokina.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't mind a GH2, too bad it's not an Olympus! :tongue: :wink:

7. Bhupinder2002

Lol :rofl:
    Thanks John , I was thinking of starting a thread " Are we running out of topics?" and U guessed it right ..Panny gave me a new one ..lol
    Its interesting anyway, Panny G3 is currently for USD599 and I am just thinking it might drop down to USD499 mark soon . They need to keep at least USD200 gap to sell both of them . Many people will prefer and take Panny GH2 over G3 if its only 100 bucks difference.

8. Bhupinder2002

I wish Oly to drop P3 price to USD 699 in response to GH2 or introduce a new kit -EP3 with 12mm for USD999
    Cheers
    :smile::smile::smile:

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You know what, outside of our microcosm, I don't think cameras are selling all too well right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the GH2 has been sitting on the shelves for the last couple months.

10. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The supply of the GH2 is still very tight where I live. When the camera is in stock, it usually sells out in a day or two, the demand is quite high.

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if stock is dependent in different regions? I notice there a lot more filmmakers in Europe using the GH2, while in the US the 5Dm2 seems to be the popular choice.

12. Bhupinder2002

I fully agree with u John. I don't think GH2 was moving so fast and specially with 14-140 kit lens and a price tag of USD1399 .
    Cheers

13. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Whether there's a new version or not, Panny is just clearing them out. They must not sell very well.

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I used to work in the computer components business, and the economic / technology model was that there would be a new version every six months with improved features, but similar price point. The margins started out in week 1 at 17% but the volumes were very low, and then production built up to peak out in weeks 18 - 24, and then dropped like a rock by week 26. If you couldn't reduce your production costs to match the 1% per week price reduction the customers demanded by the time you were in volume production you were losing money on every piece you made.

The consumer ended up seeing 2 technology improvements per year, a fixed price point for the latest gadget, a peak savings of 25% on the previous model, and total unavailability of those earlier models within a year as production had completely stopped six months previously.

• Like Like x 1
  15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    anybody jumping to the price drop bandwagon?

16. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    If I didn't already own a GH2 I'd snap one up right now.

17. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I posted this up elsewhere, but I'll put it up right here, too.

So, I just bought my GH2 body-only at a local Los Angeles camera store on the Tuesday right after Thanksgiving. Wonderful store, but I won't mention the name because of what I did.

I bought it for $699. Fast forward to a week later today and Samy's has the same camera WITH lens for $599!? So I called up that store to see if they can match the price. They checked it and said they can't because it's extremely below cost, but since it's only been a week, they would accept a return WITHOUT 15% restocking fee!

So I hurried out of my house, got the GH2 #5 out of 10 at the Fairfax location for the $599, and was able to return the $699 body-only GH2 at the other store.

SCORE!!

18. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    When you said Fairfax, I thought you meant Fairrfax, VA, which is where I live. Which surprised the heck out of me, because I've never seen a Samy's around here. :)

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm extremely tempted, but my logical brain tells me to use the money for lenses.

20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    If I remember correctly, about two months ago here in the US, Panasonic was selling the G3 body only on its own website for not much more than $400. That's about the same time when the GF3 + 14-42 was being sold on the Panasonic site for some obscenely low price. Obscene, but good for consumers!