preventing condensation

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by FunPhax, Jan 11, 2012.

1. FunPhax

FunPhax Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    I'm planning to take my camera with me snowboarding over the weekend inside a Crumpler bag which is going to be inside my small backpack that I would be taking with me.

Would it be okay if I take my camera out of my bag while I'm resting to take some shots of friends boarding then put it right back in my bag or would I have to put it in a ziplock bag every time I put it back inside my bag? Because I know that cold weather to warm weather is bad for my baby...

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    If you are thinking your bag is warm, it is not. Taking your camera out to shoot is no problem. After your camera is cold, bring it indoors, condensation can form. Just leave everything in your bag until it warms up--maybe and hour.

3. FunPhax

FunPhax Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    Would anything happen if I go back inside for a 45 min lunch break then go right back outside to shoot or should I wait until everything warms up?

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I'd put in in a ziplock bag right before I came inside. The outside air is very dry, the inside air is moister. Keep the inside air away from the camera and you're OK. Do the same at the end of the day and leave the camera inside the ziplock bag until it warms up.

5. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I haven't found condensation to be a huge issue when outdoors. I pull my camera in and out of my bag or pockets all the time. Going indoors will make a difference but I wouldn't worry about it if you are only going in for a short time.

I don't worry too much about the cold/warm stuff. When I shot this <a href="http://vimeo.com/34425204">timelapse</a> it was cold enough that my tripod cracked trying to set it up. My camera was still very cold two hours after I got into the house.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    On a bit of a side note...

I read somewhere that those little silicone packets that we find (just about everywhere :biggrin: ) are also helpful in preventing lens fungus - i.e. keep a few in your camera bag :smile:

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If ones bag is air tight then OK. Otherwise them packets will just adsorb moisture out of the air until they are saturated and then stop working.

8. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Been shooting at -35 C the past couple of days, camera got cold enough that the LCD was freezing up. No issues with condensation coming back indoors.

I imagine it would actually be worse at temps that are warmer with more humidity. At these temps the air is very dry.

9. FunPhax

FunPhax Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    I decided not to bring my camera out of the car because it was snowing alot... what a shame