Press Release from Olympus about the finalized deal with JIP

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
But here's the point: outsourcing everything to lowest bidder will not contribute anything to quality of your products or services even if it will increase your profits in short term.
They are never the same. Some survived but in a way lesser form. I just hope that the ongoing [if that is what they really intend] new company can / will produce to the same standards, but that may not be profitable?
at least JIP will not be pushing out a ... 737 MAX, thank Gods!
This is all rather gloomy, a bit like saying 'my sister's dog got run over by a bus, therefore mine will as well'.
No-one, other than JIP/Olympus knows how the JIP/Olympus deal will pan out. Best case scenario - it's a success. Worse case scenario - something breaks and I have to buy a secondhand replacement.
There's always a bright side to everything.
my personal feeling from all that tragedy, hubba hubba hubba

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
This is my biggest concern, outsourcing manufacturing and service.
Hmmm... Service? Well... The thumb rest on my E-M5III fell off and Olympus asked me to send my camera for repairs. They said it would take 3-4 weeks to get it fixed. 3-4 weeks for something that just needs the right type of glue?! 3-4 weeks?!! Hell no! I've already tried 2 different epoxy glues without success. I'll try 2 more if I have to but I'm not sending my camera away for a month for such a small issue.

So right now I'm feeling the service can't get much worse after JIP has taken over...

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Hmmm... Service? Well... The thumb rest on my E-M5III fell off and Olympus asked me to send my camera for repairs. They said it would take 3-4 weeks to get it fixed. 3-4 weeks for something that just needs the right type of glue?! 3-4 weeks?!! Hell no! I've already tried 2 different epoxy glues without success. I'll try 2 more if I have to but I'm not sending my camera away for a month for such a small issue.

So right now I'm feeling the service can't get much worse after JIP has taken over...
Either a strong 'contact adhesive' or a gel superglue (cyanoacrylate) should be sufficient. I find epoxy glues limited in their effective applications.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm pretty sure the soft plastic used in this grip belongs to so called "low surface energy plastics" (PP, PE, EVA) which are notoriously difficult to glue. Most likely it was not glued to start with but Olympus used an adhesive which is pretty much the only option you can use for these and silicon rubber.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bonding-and-assembly-us/applications/material-bonding/lse-plastics/

In any case you will not find a glue for that from any general store. These are typically sold for industrial applications

As a rule of a thumb if plastic is hard and brittle i.e. it shatters when you bend or hit it, you can glue it easily with general store glues. If, on the other hand, is annoyingly tough and flexible and impossible to break by twisting and hitting, then it's LSE and good luck with trying to glue it on any other surface.

Last edited:

Jeroen81

Mu-43 Regular

What county. In Europe a Olympus repair usually takes about a week. And in that weeks it get shipped to Portugal and back to to owner.
Olympus service is pretty good in Europe.
We will see how it goes with JIP. I have faith that everything will work out just fine.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have successfully used Bostik contact glue on such things, make sure you follow standard procedure with glue on both surfaces and let dry for a little while then press together. That should be fine.

Service, yes, I have actually on small minor issue with exteriors on my E-M5 Mk III also, but don't feel like sending it in for service a few weeks.

I sent my E-3 to Olympus Sweden back in the days, it took several weeks. But I got an "Olympus Lens Pen" for the trouble :)

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
o_O sounds disconcerning
I guess the eyelet is part of a bigger piece behind there. Like the issues seen with the tripod mount. It is sort of a plate 2x2 cm or something. And that whole plate need to brake through the camera body. But has happened because of people use it for camera strap with attached large glass. It seems it requires quite much for it to loose. So I think if this eyelet has the same construction then I feel it will hold.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
What county. In Europe a Olympus repair usually takes about a week. And in that weeks it get shipped to Portugal and back to to owner.
We will see how it goes with JIP. I have faith that everything will work out just fine.
Finland. And yes, they would send the camera to Portugal. And I know that the postal services in Finland are getting worse and worse each day I don't feel comfortable trusting my camera in their hands. The delivery times are awful and they lose too many packages too.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll try to get a better glue next and if I can't find a good enough glue, I just might opt for the Sugru option since I've already made a couple of custom grips for cameras with it and know how it works etc. Even if it doesn't look as good as the original it still beats being without my main camera for a month.

EDIT: Hmm... I do have double sided adhesive tapes (for attaching mirrors on the walls etc.) but I think they're all too thick for this purpose. But I guess I could test one if the grip still falls off. I'd still prefer a "too thick thumb rest that is sticking out a bit" to no thumb rest at all. :p

Last edited:

JiLes

Mu-43 Regular
Hei Pake!

If you have registered your camera in Olympus-website, I suppose you have Pro-status in their service programm. It means Olympus Finland order DHL to pick up your camera at your door, and delever it back to your home. My EM1 had a nice hollyday in Portugal about two years ago, but less than two weeks, when it was at home again. And without any charge, BTW... It's worth of asking, isn't it?

Jaakko

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Hei Pake!

If you have registered your camera in Olympus-website, I suppose you have Pro-status in their service programm. It means Olympus Finland order DHL to pick up your camera at your door, and delever it back to your home. My EM1 had a nice hollyday in Portugal about two years ago, but less than two weeks, when it was at home again. And without any charge, BTW... It's worth of asking, isn't it?

Jaakko
OK, I'll look into that if I can't fix it myself since I've registered all my Olympus gear there. Thanks for the tip. I will try at least 1-2 glues and an adhesive tape before I'll give up though... :)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Regarding glues etc. I bought a used EM1.2 which had the grip rubber falling off. So I took it off completely, cleaned it and the body of glue residues, then stuck it back with contact adhesive. Lasted about a day before it started to come away again.

So I then bought a new replacement rubber grip from a local repairer (£15 inc postage) which came with double-sided adhesive tapes. That worked really well. Still going strong after 3 months.

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular

I can confirm this. I had af motor replacement, and lens came back fast, cleaned, even with new mount. I chipped mount when fitting extension tube to it, and they replaced it at no extra cost. Much better than Panasonic in my experience.

Latest threads

Top Bottom