Preferred Image Posting Etiquette?

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The forum is getting several threads in the "genre" forum, which appear to be the equivalent of W/NW.

Genres - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

I've not limited myself to posting pictures from the EP2, but have posted some ranging from Kodachrome 25 to the Leica M8. I tend to list the camera and film (if relevent) when posting.

Recently, I've seen some CGI posted to that forum, so no longer feel to bad about posting the M8 images.

But- the question is: what etiquette should be followed for that forum? Should we limit it to u4/3 cameras, any camera, any image?

Looking for opinions and some discussion.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Brian, thank you for bringing this up. Until I learn anything new, I believe Amin's post here
Our Gallery space is intended as a space for members to upload their Micro Four Thirds photographs. I understand that there will be certain exceptions, for example a body of work made primarily using MFT but containing a few images made using a different system. As resources are limited, please respect this guideline and limit non-MFT photograph uploads to a minimum.
found in this sticky https://www.mu-43.com/f68/important-notice-please-read-before-using-forum-gallery-groups-blogs-867/ gives a good overview of the site's policies. For anyone who hasn't read this sticky, or for those of us who may have forgotten what we once read (too easy to do for me!) it's an important starting place.

Good judgement with this in mind seems to be a good way to go.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
What does W/NW mean Brian?

I'm not too uptight about people posting images from their non-m4/3rds kit so long as it is on-topic, and so long as they're not using a huge proportion of their mu-43 gallery space to host non-m4/3rds images...

The most helpful thing people could do, is to add the basic body/lens/EXIF data next to every image they post - as I do, for example :

E-P2 + 20mm f1.7
1/640s f/3.5 at 20.0mm iso200
View attachment 146160

Cheers

Brian

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
W/NW is "Words/No Words and is essentially a Photo.net tradition.

Many photo forums have adopted the terminology for submitting threads on subjects, everyone may add an image related to that subject.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I'm on the fence on this. I typically don't care to post images to the "Lets see X thread", where everyone posts a picture on that subject. The reason I don't, is I like to tell a story about how the image was obtained or some relevent information about the picture and what I'm trying to accomplish. Thats just me. Some like to just post pictures. I think, though, thats what the galleries are for, and I go go see them easily.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just to add: i am not using the gallery here to host the images made with different systems.

I am posting off-site hosted images related to the thread topic.

The question was more in regard to posting images made with u4/3rds equipment vs other types of equipment, or even CGI, in the "genre" forum.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Brian, I think that generally speaking since this is a micro four thirds forum that the majority of photos should be of the :43: format, however as long as people don't go overboard I do not believe that non micro four thirds photos, especially hosted elsewhere as you do, are a big problem.

I'm in agreement with Brian Mosely that it is always a good thing to either use the advanced posting method whenever one posts an image (mu43 or not) to let people know what camera and lens is used, or put that info in your post...which I think you do already.

If we need more clarification here, I'm sure we'll get it in time. Meanwhile, it's always good to bring things up and interesting to get feedback, too.:thumbup:

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
I just posted the screenshot in the sunset thread for amusement of others and all my images are hosted on Zenfolio or imageshack . I thought it might be interesting to see the advancements made in software and what it was capable of rendering when it comes to the environment, like sunsets.

fsx2008041001164937pp4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

By speedbump at 2008-05-06

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Thanks Tex, I enjoyed them and the video too... if you add a comment with future images on camera / (screenshot method) used then there should be no confusion.

The above is pretty amazing - is this a straight screen grab?

Cheers

Brian

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, straight from the FRAPS screenshot and video capture program. FSX can make some nice scenery if you have a fast computer and decent video card. So I guess it's not a rendered CGI really, just a screenshot. A rendered shot would be similar to this, done with Terragen.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I used to do work with computer generated imagery in the 1980s. I had a cloud model based on fractals, used in in some airborne simulation software- all custom written in FORTRAN and assembly.

I had to convince a Navy Admiral that he was not looking at real clouds, but images generated on an Intel Hypercube. Those were fun days.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Somewhat like the clouds in the P51 print... except mine had animated TU22M's flying through them.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I agree with Brian Mosley and BBW. Non-MFT photos are fine in the Genre galleries, so long as they are on topic. I'd rather see members participate with their non-MFT images than not participate at all.

Threads which are created for the purpose of showing images from another type of camera should be in Other Systems, and for the most part, the Gallery space should be reserved for MFT photos.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That puts my mind at ease, especially where the M8 and Film cameras are concerned. Of course, most of the lenses can be adapted to u4/3rds. I tend to note which camera and lens were used, unless a thread is marked "No Words".

Yesterday, I had the Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.4 LTM on the EP2. My new favorite Combo. The LTM Nikkor is "Tiny", AND focuses to 18". I'll be uploading some, in preparation for more Genre Threads.

ChristopheG

Mu-43 Regular
Photographe Mariage A

:thumbup:Forums simply disagree or will ban you for any ambitious form of self promotion. Also you will get banned if you make any unfavorable comments that may offend another forum member. The level of strictness to these rules will deviate from site to site. So reading the rules before you post can save you a lot of difficulties later on.

Latest threads

Top Bottom