Prediction - GX9 will be announced soon !

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    There are signs that a replacement will be announced soon for the Panasonic GX8
    I predict a replacement is imminent !

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    A star in the east?

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    What signs? Hoping its true.

4. Ironbark

Ironbark Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2017
    Perth Australia
    That would be great - had great use out of my GX8's - but the time is right for me to get a GX9...

The same body size and configuration as the GX8 - but add a joystick, faster and more accurate autofocus and reduced rolling shutter and I will be happy..........

cheers

ironbark

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

PhotoPlus show in NYC will be happening in just a few weeks - it's a pretty major show for digital photography. If it was going to happen I think you would have heard about it.

6. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    If its a Gx9 it may be the first time i ever pre-order a camera, lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I really hope the rumors are for the GX9, and that then Oly follows up with an EM5iii announcement. I'm torn between wanting to have both systems, but not really sure if I can afford both this next year.

8. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Really though, I'd like to see better 5 axis ibis (video too), 3rd party OCF compatibility (like Oly did for profoto, elinchrome, and godox), no AA filter, lower/cleaner base ISO (I'd rather have base of 50-100 than super high), USB3-C charging!!! better/usable wifi, real tethering, standard mic input (3.5mm!), more features that aren't jpeg only (focus stacking/bracketing), would really like to see something comparable to Oly's live composite and high-res modes, and a battery grip... because it would be fun.

9. Learned my lesson preordering a K-s1. Once the specs came out with several firmware downgrades :eek-31: I decommitted.

10. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    @Repp@Repp "Really though, I'd like to see
    • better 5 axis ibis (video too),
    • 3rd party OCF compatibility (like Oly did for profoto, elinchrome, and godox), - I wasn't aware of this, how is it more compatible or you mean their system is more open so 3rd parties have an easier time ensuring compatibility?
    • no AA filter, - Straight from the GH5 so more than likely yes.
    • lower/cleaner base ISO (I'd rather have base of 50-100 than super high),
    • USB3-C charging!!! - YES and while the camera is in use. Barring that give us an OEM way to use one of those battery inserts with one of those USB charging banks.
    • better/usable wifi, - I've heard it said that the Panasonic App is the best of all the manufacturer's and the bluetooth keep-alive on the GH5 makes it even better
    • real tethering, - GH5 has this now so I'm assuming u're satisfied with it's implementation?
    • standard mic input (3.5mm!), - Yup
    • more features that aren't jpeg only (focus stacking/bracketing), - YES. I'm envious of the EM-1 II's Pro-Capture RAW capability. 4k and 6k photo is nice but I really want them in RAW. Also Oly's focus stacking implementation is sooo much better than Panasonic's, which tends to produce more artifacts. They limit the feature to specific lenses though so I wonder if they're compensating for the focus breathing of those specific lenses to reduce the artifacts?
    • would really like to see something comparable to Oly's live composite and high-res modes, - Yes but I'd be surprised if they do in this iteration
    • and a battery grip... because it would be fun." - I guess portrait mode would be easier to use.
    Re: 4k/6k and Oly's Pro-Capture.I realise that even though they do something similar their implementation is completely different. Hence why one is JPG and the other can give you raw files.
    Panasonic is just recording a video and allowing you to pull a jpeg frame out of it. Olympus on the other hand is basically doing continuous burst shooting with the e-shutter and placing the results in a round-robin buffer until you press the release then saving the images up to that point to the card. So to give us raw output Panasonic would basically have to ditch their current implementation and start over using Oly's method , so I doubt we'll see this anytime soon.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  11. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    @CyVan@CyVan When profoto released their trigger for Olympus, Oly did a firmware push for all of their more recent cameras, and this also added a feature for oly users w/ Elinchrome flashes and tail sync in highres mode. Godox released their first m43 flash and trigger shortly after, and Oly users that I'm friends with have had fewer issues (almost none that I know of) vs the number of ones w/ pany bodies... And considering Pany designed the flashes and flash system for m43, that's a bit surprising to me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. SeaRefractor

SeaRefractor New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2017
    Once the GX9 is released, I predict that a lower end GX90, GX95, GX7 Mark III will be produced. Lot's of brilliant features from the GX9 although without weather sealing, Cinelike or Log profiles or....... a microphone jack. :)

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, if the G85 had the 20MP sensor from the GX8 and the Auto ISO in M with Exposure Compensation from the GH5, I'd own one already. I imagine that a G95 will be coming at some point, too.

14. SeaRefractor

SeaRefractor New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2017
    You know what would ensure I pick up a GX9? PDAF on sensor in addition to the great CDAF/DFD focusing system. I'd sell my DSLR gear to help pay for it too.