Predator and prey

Discussion in 'Nature' started by relic, Apr 3, 2012.

1. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Tiny predator, large prey. E-P2, 100-mm Super Macro Takumar, f/11, 1/160 s, ISO 800; camera tripod-mounted.

• Like Like x 3
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That's cool that you put a measurement reference. Do you calculate it based on your reproduction ratio, or is it just a guess?

3. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Thanks! Neither: after I took the picture, I did not disturb the focus setting on the (manual focus) lens. I then took the picture of a ruler placed in front of the lens at the right distance to get it into focus (which is the same focus setting at which the spider picture was taken). Given that the depth of field at that close distance is rather small, the ruler scale should be sufficiently accurate, I think, to give an idea of size.

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Did it eat 'im:smile:

5. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    I just checked: I think he got away (no carcass), and the spider was still there. When I was trying to take their picture, he was struggling to get away and was moving slowly to the right, so I had to keep backing the camera away to keep them both visible, and by the time I had them both in focus, he'd be partially out of the field of view:smile:.