Precision Color Inks Mini Review

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A little background.... I've ruined two good Epson photo printers with crappy ink refills. About five or six years ago I swore I'd never buy cheap replacement ink again. But after printing more and more, I just could not put up with the costs and waste of factory cartridges. This time I set out to purchase quality replacement ink that was more affordable, instead of buying the cheapest available. Through lots of reading, I found Precision Colors of NY (http://precisioncolors.com/). I bought their 6-ink refill starter set for the same price as a set of new Epson cartridges but with 10x more ink.

As worried as I was about the quality, I'm very happy to say the results are 100% as good as factory ink. Great product, great price.

I'll try to remember to post back. If anything negative happens, I'll report back for sure, but for now, I can print for less than $0.10 per 4x6.

Real Name
Andrew L
$41.98 for a refill kit for my new Canon PRO100, what a steal! Thanks a lot for the link, I can breathe easier actually printing anything from that behemoth now ;)

jziegler

Mu-43 Veteran
I see that they even provide ICC profiles for their inks with common papers, one of the reasons that I've been staying with Canon inks. I definately want to look into this some more.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
For our Canon Pro 100 and Pro 1, I get genuine Canon ink off ebay for much less that from the NY camera and electronics stores. Never had a Canon printer clog or need manual cleaning.

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi

the trouble is buying genuine ink cartridges of ebay is you can never be quite 100% sure you are not buying counterfeit Cartridges, I bought a load when I had an Epson 1400 everyone looked genuine but they all turned out to be counterfeit.

These days I use a CIS on both my printers and buy my ink in bulk and make my own profiles for the various papers I use, I don't get clogs and save an absolute fortune at the same time. The trouble I found with re fill able cartridges is that most had to be removed from the printer for filling and for the chip to reset, you then run the risk of the seals eventually failing or the chip or contacts getting worn or damaged.

Paul

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
The ones I have purchased have been in genuine Canon boxes, unsealed. And each cartridge in the box is unsealed from Japan. No difference than the ones from B&H. I check those details very carefully. I also now have confidence in the specific retailer who has a good track record in general and with my purchases.

stuntman

M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER
Real Name
ED
A little background.... I've ruined two good Epson photo printers with crappy ink refills. About five or six years ago I swore I'd never buy cheap replacement ink again. But after printing more and more, I just could not put up with the costs and waste of factory cartridges. This time I set out to purchase quality replacement ink that was more affordable, instead of buying the cheapest available. Through lots of reading, I found Precision Colors of NY (http://precisioncolors.com/). I bought their 6-ink refill starter set for the same price as a set of new Epson cartridges but with 10x more ink.

As worried as I was about the quality, I'm very happy to say the results are 100% as good as factory ink. Great product, great price.

I'll try to remember to post back. If anything negative happens, I'll report back for sure, but for now, I can print for less than $0.10 per 4x6.

Thanks for the link! I just ordered 2 refill kits for my canons. This will save me a lot of money because I print a lot.

stuntman

M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER
Real Name
ED

Did you buy the chip re-setter? I bought mine and it is here but, I cannot figure out how to change the battery or open the darn thing. It is working but, in the event the battery dies, there is no instructions to replace it.
The ink is working fantastic so far and this is the way I am going from now on. My printers also have the option for continuous ink feed from tanks and I am going this route in my large format canon. It has 12 tanks and prints 48" wide by infinity long and uses a LOT of ink!! Thanks again for the heads up! The ink arrived in 2 days from them. The print quality is the same as factory. They even have ICC profiles for a bunch of papers. So far I can tell no difference from factory ink.

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't see anything on the site about archival qualities. Any idea what they claim for longevity, fading, etc ...? My experience with third party inks with regards to longevity has been horrible, but it has been several years so I'm wondering/hoping things have changed.

stuntman

M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER
Real Name
ED
I don't see anything on the site about archival qualities. Any idea what they claim for longevity, fading, etc ...? My experience with third party inks with regards to longevity has been horrible, but it has been several years so I'm wondering/hoping things have changed.
Their ink is fantastic and equal to my factory Canon ink. I tested their pigment ink under water and it never budged. Dye based ink is all the same and bleeds when hit with water. I have been using it in my continuous feed ink tanks with no problems at all. I must have missed an instruction step in re-filling my other printers cartridges because I am getting an air stoppage and have to continuously clean the head to get flow. I will re-visit this and post back.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
For our Canon Pro 100 and Pro 1, I get genuine Canon ink off ebay for much less that from the NY camera and electronics stores. Never had a Canon printer clog or need manual cleaning.
Mind telling me the seller? I ordered a Pro 100 and planning ahead. Thanks. (pm ok if you don't want to post here)

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Since this is a Lazarus thread I will add the following: A year or two I bought a Canon Pro 9000 Mk. II and spent a lot of time experimenting with aftermarket inks, hoping to get good colors and gray step scales at a cost less than the $100/set Canon inks. I did succeed, I thought. But now I have found that several of my prints have faded badly, mostly the reds. These are hung in a room where they never get direct sunlight. My problem is that I have no idea which combination of inks was in the printer for the faded prints or, for that matter, for the good ones. So I am faced with repeating some of my experiments, then putting the prints in the sunlight to accelerate fading and see what happens. So my lesson learned is to keep track of which inks are used for which prints until I find a recipe that produces good color and longevity.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mind telling me the seller? I ordered a Pro 100 and planning ahead. Thanks. (pm ok if you don't want to post here)

imagemaker 1215. But....that was over a year ago. You search for whoever has it cheapest now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.59.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.59.34 PM.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 308

Latest threads

Top Bottom