Pre-ordering the E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pen2omd, Sep 8, 2013.

1. pen2omd

pen2omd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    Hello all,

I had some pretty bad experience when I ordered my E-P5. Basically I cancelled the pre order and bought the camera on another web site. The E-P5 was delivered to me before I even new when my pre order will arrive...

In order to avoid a repeat for the E-M1 which online merchant (for the USA) get the goods first and deliver the fastest? Adorama, Amazon, B&H, Olympus itself or another one not mentionned?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The problem with any of the ones you've mentioned is that you're joining a huge queue. If you're among the first to pre-order, you'll be fine. If not, well, there were folks who pre-ordered the E-M5 from B&H in February who didn't receive the camera until July (it started shipping April).

If it's really important to you, I'd consider finding a smaller more local Olympus dealer that's not as well known and pre-ordering through them. Generally, all official dealers in the US receive first shipments at roughly the same time. Amazon for some reason generally seems to get their stock later. Olympus's own online store has been hit or miss.
  3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Go with b&h...always. I had a couple bad experiences with other vendors, including amazon. Never any failures with b&h.
  4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have always dealt with Adorama and generally very happy. However - I deal directly with one of the salesman that I have dealt with for years. When something is coming out that I am sure I want to get (I am not one of those who wait for audience reports/reviews - which is sometimes bad but generally good) I give him a call and he puts me high up on the list as a long-time customer. I don't think I have ever just done a pre-order through their website.
  5. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    I used to always pre-order from amazon but now that they charge tax in my state...and it is a 10% tax pretty much which is a lot when you are talking about $1400 camera, I am gonna go with B&H assuming they are receiving orders (they are closed for Jewish Holidays for another week I believe). If B&H is closed, I'll do Adorama.