Pre-Ordering Oly 17mm 1.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tornado, Nov 6, 2012.

1. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Any tips on where to pre-order the upcoming Oly 17mm f1.8? I'm in Vancouver Canada and not sure what local/regional shops typically get early stock?

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    I haven't even heard of there being pre-production examples yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    me neither, sadly.
    im thinking the rumors of it shipping in december are LIES! lol
    filthy dirty little lies, meant to torture ME!
  4. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    There are a few reports of people at photo tech shows getting hold of this lens as the Olympus booth. Still some talk of a November release (I think this might be Taiwan?).

got a trip to France planned for 2nd week of Dec., would love to take that lens...
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The last I heard was commercial release in first half of 2013. No official announcement yet even (pricing, availability).

I am also excited about this lens!
  6. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    lets hope there will be minimum distortion. The old 17mm 2.8 produced massive 4.47% (uncorrected raw), hopefully this will be better

will the price be simlar to the 75mm 1.8?
  7. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I reckon price will be close to 12/2
  8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    No pre-order (or even pricing yet), but I most certainly will do so when available... for, uh... the credit card rewards points?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    From a post over on DP Review's M4/3 forum:

10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    $499 is a buy for me.

I would sell some of my lenses for it too. Probably would keep a prime kit consisting of this, 45, and 25.
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I will order it the moment it appears. I'm reluctant to get my hopes up for this year...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I wonder when Panasonic is going to update the 20/1.7? Maybe this release will force their hand?

I like the snap focus ring, but I don't use it all that much on my 12/2, and I actually like the profile of the Panasonic 20/1.7. If Pan would announce an update the AF on that lens and make it IF, I may hold off on the Oly.
  13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I am looking forward to this lens, I expect it to be my new walk around lens.
  14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I got to handle one at Photo Expo. Same construction as the 12/2. I told the Olympus rep that I really wanted them to make a 25/1.8. I would gladly give up 2/3 stop for a lens half the size and weight of the Panasonic 25/1.4.
  15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ive recently gotten the pl25/1.4
    at first i thought "omg my cute lil oly lenses are so... cute n lil compared to this thing!"

then i popped it on my em5, and it worked out well
    its as big as id like to go tho! anything bigger and it would seem unbalanced i think, for me at least!

id rather give up some extra cash and have an oly version that still has that nice POP to the images the pl gets