Pre-ordering an EM-5, Silver or Black?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dino8031, Feb 24, 2012.

1. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm having a tough time deciding on color. (Yea, I know it really doesn't matter).

I'm leaning towards silver. I'm liking that look.

Does the color have any effect on future resale value?

So, what do you think? I'd post a poll on this but I have no idea how to do it.
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Buy what looks good to you. It's not like you're considering pink. Neither finish is outrageous enough to affect the resale value.
  3. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Agreed. Either way, there will always be a 50/50 split on what color people prefer. I doubt choosing one way or another will increase or decrease the likelihood of selling down the line.
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yeah, don't think it will impact resale value... get the one you like the best.
  5. Mboss

Mboss New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    Silver looks the coolest to me, but I'd want the black one to draw less attention on the streets and for a more professional look.
  6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    IMHO the silver draws less "unwanted" attention since it looks like an old 35mm.

I say whatever body is less prone to scratching will have the most resale value. Throw a half-case on it if you want to treat it like a lease. :smile:
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Well I saw the black in person yesterday, and Im definitely going silver after seeing the black. I haven't seen the silver in person, but I know I don't want black now.
  8. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    What did you think of the texture?Looks like fiberglass to me, I like it.The black definitely looks more modern and current.I'm getting the silver because it seems the silver lenses integrate with it better and it looks like it visually reduces the hump height.Resale should be unaffected either way.I'm assuming the silver finish will be the same as my E-P1.The bottom of it has no signs of scratches on it.
  9. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm getting silver as well, but the only thing that bothers me is the addon battery grip. It doesn't quite match the fake leatherette wrapped silver body, so it kind of clashes, while it looks less weird on the black version. That said, i'm not sure i'm getting the grip just yet, because i want to see just how good the original grip is. For lenses like the 75mm though it might be helpful to have that added ergonomics.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

When I bought my Canon AE-1, I paid an extra (I think) $25 to get it in black body. That's my personal preference, but nice to see that you can pick the one you want without incurring an price differential. Wasn't always the case.
  11. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I actually like how it "clashes". It subtly states:

"PS... my camera REALLY is not that biiig giiirl!"