1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pre-ordered the Panny 45-175mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by addieleman, Sep 25, 2011.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Pre-ordered it at Amazon Germany, so the falling of the euro will not hit me too hard when it's finally delivered after Greece has gone bankrupt :smile:. I've always complained about the 45-200's IQ, so I just hope the X designation really stands for something better.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I definitely can't wait to see how it performs. The new X lenses seem like the herald of solid-build zoom lenses, instead of kit-level. I'd hope that it outperforms the Olympus 40-150mm.

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    What makes you say that? (I know tone is hard on these things, so believe me when I say I'm asking, not challenging the statement.) The pancake is sweet, but the samples Panasonic released didn't strike me as terribly impressive. Are the apertures better? I'm finding it unusually hard to get excited about this specific lens...

4. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    How much did you pay for it?

I was considering waiting for it but ended up just getting the 40-150 instead.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    The price was € 479. I didn't pay yet, my credit card will be charged when it's actually delivered.

6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have the Panny 45-200 and it is certainly a mediocre lens so I would hope the new X lenses are better. AF on the 45-200 sucks but is better on my E-P3.

I fear the X series is also low rent with slow apertures and the stupid push button zoom. Very consumer spec. Hopefully the AF and optics are great.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

7. Zion21

Zion21 New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2011
    It does look like a good lens, and I do want to get it eventually but I don't like per-ordering. I change my mind a lot and don't like being locked into buying something.
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="1" height="1" id="movie" align="">
    <param name=FlashVars value="cid=3">
    <param name="movie" value="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf">
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
    <embed allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="cid=3" src="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
    </object>

8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The power zoom is there because it helps make the lens smaller. It has internal focusing and it weighs only 210 grams. It also uses better coatings than any of the other tele lenses.

The 45-200 weighs 380 grams, is 1cm longer when closed and extends to what I guess would be around twice as long at the max focal length. It also has an inferior IS system.

We'll just have to wait and see if it really is an upgrade or not.

9. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Max. apertures indeed are also f/4-5.6; however, a manual zoom ring is also provided, so the motor-zoom is just an addition that you're not forced to use.

10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    At Amazon Germany at least I wasn't locked into having to buy it, I can cancel the order at any time. This seems like a standard procedure with reputable online stores.

11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Got it!

One of my favourite stores had it in stock all of a sudden yesterday, so I cancelled the pre-order with Amazon and picked it up.

I was a bit surprised to find out that the zoom ring actually operates the internal zoom motor(s?). Nevertheless I have no issues with it, other than that I cannot see at what focal length the lens has been set: no scale anywhere, and there's no new firmware for the GH2 yet showing it in the finder or screen. The rocker buttons for zooming don't suit me, I expected as much. This lens feels very light and comfortable on the camera, the combo handles great, you don't have the idea that you're working with a long zoom lens. The 45-200mm is much clunkier and heavier. Focussing seems quick and positive, I didn't see any hunting. It takes somewhat more time with dark subjects when I cover up the focus-assist light and it sometimes plainly isn't able to focus.

Can say only a little bit about IQ, I just made some test shots, will post some more serious shots tomorrow. IQ looks quite alright. Stopping down a little bit to f/5.6 seems needed, at 45mm and f/4 it's a bit soft. The far right border is a little bit less sharp than the rest of the frame, obviously sample variation. My two 45-200mm samples also had these kind of issues.

To be continued, have to go to a concert nearby and will take my camera and this lens with me :smile: