Prasat Phanom Rung

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by sokar, Sep 12, 2012.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hello all,

Some shots taken of some 900 year old ruins in the north east of Thailand. I am told this is the same vintage as Angkor Wat. All shots taken with the EPM1 + 17mm Oly lens. I have posted some of these in the 17mm image thread, but hoped to get some feedback from those that prefer B&W.

My first real attempts with using the Nik software to PP the shots. Any comments and/or feedback would be most welcome.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The differing tones in the bricks in the last picture look interesting.
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I think you have been a touch heavy handed in the way you have brought out the texture of the buildings against the sky.

If you look at the last photo you can see that the ruin has a white glow around it that bleeds into the sky.

In the second picture there is a particularly noticeable halo around the edge of the ruin sticking into the top left of the photo. Nice ruins though.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Nicely done! Perfect subject for B&W. :thumbup:
  5. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks for the comments and feedback. Yes, I agree now that I look at them, that they are a little heavy in content. I now see the halo.

I only just purchased the NIK software and was amazed on what it can achieve. After manipulating several photos in Silver Efex Pro I then installed the other programs in the suite, and used a number of them in a sequence, resulting in the first photo I have posted above.

For the first shot, I used a sequence of:

1. Dfine
    2. Sharpner Pro
    3. Silver Efex Pro
    4. Sharpner Pro output for best resolution for a monitor.

Each added a little more, and the end result is a little overkill. I am still amazed how much detail can be pulled from a dull and lifeless sky.
  6. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Fantastic shots!Great work!
  7. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I think that the PP went really well as far as the brick structures are concerned - very nice textures and all those contrasting shades. Love them. However, My eyes were drawn also to the dramatic cloud formations in the sky -- and to my eyes they were a bit distracting especially on the first two and on the last one. They seem ... unnatural? I don't know what it is - perhaps too much contrast. But the puffs and swirls could have given a nice contrast to the rigid structure of the subject.

Again, that's just an opinion coming from a pure hobbyist.
  8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Wow! What an amazing complex. I think B+W was a great choice here.
  9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Love how the texture of the stonework pops.
  10. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. I agree that B&W suits this structure, but still have a lot to learn with regards to the PP and determining the final image appearance (color or B&W) prior to taking the shot.

As I posted previously, this was my first real attempt ith Nik software and in hindsight the PP in some areas is too heavy handed. When first starting to use SEP I was amazed how much detail one could pull out of a dull, overcast sky; hence the strong skies in some of the backgrounds.

The complex is significantly larger than these photos indicate. When I get some time I will post several more photos highlighting the general layout and the extent of the construction.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup, being able to recover sky details that was otherwise blown in OOC jpegs is what has got me switching over to raw on most landscapy type shots.